question on MBP refurb

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jackc, Nov 9, 2007.

1. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

First of all, what do you guys think of the deal on this refurb:

[​IMG]

Also, is it possible to buy AppleCare from Amazon to save some $? They list the serial number on Amazon, so I don't know if you can match it up, but they also "recommend" the AppleCare with an MBP model that has a different serial number.

Edit: Looks like I just missed it, it's gone now. Anyway, my question on Amazon still stands.

Attached Files:

2. admiraldennis macrumors regular

Buy AppleCare wherever it's cheapest.

You can definitely buy the retail AC box from amazon and activate it on a computer you bought from Apple.

3. avincent52 macrumors regular

get up early

I bought that very machine earlier this week, and I'm very happy with it (although there's a small problem with the SuperDrive...stay tuned)

You need to get up early--7 am EST--to get one before they sell out.
    And yes, you can buy Apple Care independently. Don't know if you're eligible for an education discount, but Apple care for the MBP is only $239 on the education store.
    best
    Allen

4. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

that looks like a good deal. i wish i would have known about refurbs when I ordered my macbook awhile ago

5. avincent52 macrumors regular

An update on my MBP experience.
    The Superdrive on my machine is bad and I'm going to have to send it back.
    There have been a fair number of complaints about the 6X drive, and seemingly fewer about the 8X. Whether Apple solved the problem (fingers crossed) or the 8xs haven't had time to break, I don't know.
    If every penny counts, I go for the 2.16 machine for $1500 and try importing some CDs before I did the leopard update or migrated data. (I wasted much time doing so before discovering the problem)
    On the other hand, the 2.2 machine is available for $200 more, and it's got an extra gig of RAM, slightly upgraded video, and the different (better?) drive.
    One thing. I absolutely love the form factor of the MBP compared to the macbook. Performance wise, believe it or not, the MBP doesn't do much if anything that my ibook G3 can't do at an acceptable speed. But the keyboard and the better screen make this a much better machine on which to work.
    good luck
    Allen

6. jackc thread starter macrumors 65816

jackc

Thanks avincent. I agree about the form factor, the Pro is a little overkill for my needs but I really don't like the MacBooks, I'm upgrading from a PowerBook G4, I still think she's a beauty. So if I can pick up a refurb I don't have to pay much of a premium.

I'm trying to decide if I should wait until the MBP gets updated and then try to pick up a refurb.

7. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

I will agree with the comment about the 2.2 being available for an extra 200.

You really don't notice the performance hike unless you are doing photoshop or 3d modeling programs or any other intensive uses (although I notice it being quicker a bit with random normal programs too... just nothing that would be needed) however even from my tibook I noticed a huge performance upgrade when I first got my 2.0 cd macbook pro.

Just yesterday though I got my shiny new refurb 2.2 mbp sr C2D glossy to replace my matte CD mbp 2.0 and let me tell you. It's PERFECT :) it runs noticably peppier even (then again I do use mre taxing stuff like windows running 3d modeling programs etc) and the drive is even better.

I didn't notice my CD drive being slower or a little loud, just because it was much better then my tibook, but let me tell you.. the 8x drive is quiet like none other... and the extra 200 for the LED backlit is great. This thing runs rediculously cool and gets AMAZING battery life compared.

You may look into spending another 200 and getting the added better drive, more HD space, LED backlit screen (mine is perfect. no yellowing... it seems with refurbs since they get checked so much that i get less problems with them then new anyway :) ) and the newer chipset... which willlast you longer and mean updating less... saving more money in the long run.

PS. look into glossy. I was very anti glossy when I had my matte... cause coming from a powerbook I was used to matte, but let me tell you.. after seeing it in class, it really is PERFECT and beautiful and I am now in love. I hated the glossy macbooks... maybe just the size of the screen throws me off? I dunno. Not LED maybe? anyway.. i love this.

2.2 SR refurb all the way! :)

8. avincent52 macrumors regular

I forgot about the LED screen. Should be interesting to see the difference when my new one comes.
    To wait or not to wait? If you really don't need the machine right now, I might wait until the likely upgrade in January, and you should be able to get a very good deal on a refurbed 2.2 machine with the extra RAM, better drive, and LED screen.
    I really needed a new laptop so I went for it now. I'll have most of a book written on my MBP by mid January.

ktbubster--just for curiousity, why did you replace your old MBP?

best
    Allen