Question on Migration

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tissue Paper, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Tissue Paper macrumors regular

Hi.

I have a question please. I'm migrating from one Macbook to another Macbook Pro. I already copied the file that has my name under Users into an external HD but now I'm confused as to where to paste those files. I noticed under Users in the source computer there's already an Apple user, do I delete that and paste my own? Or what do I do exactly? Or do I just paste this under Apple user and I end up having 2 users? And then maybe two of each application?

Sorry if this sounds dumb.

2. Tissue Paper thread starter macrumors regular

Darn, I was thinking it was more of a just drag-and-drop-file matter :/ I'm not using the migration assist :/

3. simsaladimbamba

Does that mean, you do not want to use Migration Assistant or simply that you did not use it? Because the second part is clear from you mentioning having used Finder.

4. Tissue Paper thread starter macrumors regular

No I didn't use Migration Assistant. I just transferred the User file with my files and I draged it into the User folder of the other computer. It is transferring the files now but I dunno how it's going to merge the two users.

For example under my older user there are Applications, Photos Music..bla bla and in the source User file there's also Applications, Photos, Music..etc.

So how can I tell the computer I want them to be merged into one?

*sigh* this is more complicated than I thought :/ sheesh.

5. Tissue Paper thread starter macrumors regular

I tried Migration Assistant through wi/fi it took 600 billion minutes just to prepare and look for files to transfer. I gave up. Apparently the whole universe upgrades into better systems but I have to keep using this fossil.

I'll try with an Ethernet or something later. Thanks for the help anyway.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'd also try using Time Machine, it looks like it will take a stupid amount of time to do but generally loads faster than the estimate and you don't have to worry about where to put everything back.