Question on movie formats

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dermot81, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Dermot81 macrumors member

So, what kind of movie formats do you think the iPhone will be able to handle?

Obviously H.264 is a given, but what about divx and the like?

What about support through a widget or something?

2. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

I am going to guess it will run the same thing that an iPod run. So, no divx.

3. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

Same as the iPod/ AppleTV, but seeing as lots of people got the AppleTV to play with other formats, I'd say the iPhone might eventually be able to handle DivX etc...

4. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Hacking an AppleTV is one thing, hacking an iPhone to play DIVX is very different. Keep in mind, its a totally different architecture and different CPU.

5. Yvan256 macrumors 601

DivX is a stupid .avi hack and everybody should stop using that.

Please use standard .mp4 files.

6. pr5owner macrumors 65816

LMFAO, divx is stupid? i assume you will say xvid is stupid as well since its pretty much the same thing,

if its so stupid then why is it so popular? why does everyone want their PMP's to play xvid/divx?

i guess the next thing your going to say is mp3 is stupid too because its more or less open source, should everyone switch to AAC?

i supposed we should all DRM our music too so we can even fracking play it on anything other than an ipod.

7. PupnTaco macrumors regular

PupnTaco

I re-ripped the original (unedited) 1977 Star Wars this weekend as a 480-pixel wide iTunes-friendly MP4...

[​IMG]

8. kamiboy macrumors 6502

Why is Windows so popular?

The days where divx/xvid made sense are long over. Standard mp4 and specially H264 are successors that make much more sense now. People still use those old crappy formats due to a mix of apathy and tradition, same with windows I guess.

9. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Encoding in DivX/XviD is not as resource hungry as h.264 while still a good balance of quality versus file size. I'm sure h.264 is the way to go in the future but for now... Multi-pass encoding.... Xvid vs H.264 = 2 hours vs 4~5hours. Meh:rolleyes: