Question on moving from PC to Mac (in the assistance department)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iPhone3GCrazed, Jun 11, 2009.

1. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

Okay, I wasn't really sure where to put this, so if it's in the wrong place, just move it where ever. Thanks!

Back to topic.

I noticed in the first 20 seconds of this video the narrator gives two suggestions for transferring files from PC to Mac, one being Apple Store Genius Bar and the other with an external hard drive.

Question: In the video, he says and I quote "If you buy a new Mac at the Apple Store, you can bring in your PC and an Apple Genius will do it for you." How, umm, encompassing is the "Apple Store"? If I bought my computer through Apple.com, would I be able to take advantage of this truly invaluable service offered by the "Apple Geniuses"?

Thanks for reading and all comments and input are greatly appreciated!

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Yes. The Genius Bar peeps (or Geniuses) are really friendly.

3. iPhone3GCrazed thread starter macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

Phew... I was hoping they didn't mean like the physical Apple Store when they said that... Thanks for the quick response!!!

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Also, you might think about investing in One-To-One. I know most users on here will probably find it possibly a waste of money, but a lot of switchers that are either not so tech-savy, have trouble learning on the internets or like the cool people at the Apple store. Just a thought.

5. iPhone3GCrazed thread starter macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

I'm a pretty techy guy. I've wanted a Mac for at least 5 years... just now getting it for college and I'm the one in the family everyone goes to when they have computer problems... it gets annoying after awhile... but I have a niche. Haha. But thanks for the suggestion... I looked into and I'm sure that if I wasn't as into electronics and computers as I am, I would probably invest.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

If you are in college, I imagine there will be at least one other person that might no a thing or too...plus who wants to go to more class?

7. HarleyMan macrumors member

HarleyMan

For the file transfers the Apple store will do it for you even if you bought it online. If you have a problem after you get it going, call Apple.com tech and they will probably walk you through a problem. I used them once when I first got my new MBP and they took care of the situation I had on the phone. They were great. Welcome to the Apple Family.....Just One Question.....What Took You So Long? There is no comparison between a new Mac and A PC. Start it up, and in about 10 minutes your up and running, no drivers to get, your current equipment will work, don't have to spend hours on the net looking for workarounds etc, while the viruses keep a comin'. Yes much better indeed. IMHO

8. cni2i macrumors member

Great to know. I am a long time PC user, and will be ordering a MBP 17" :D

9. iPhone3GCrazed thread starter macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

Oh I completely agree with you Mac>PC hands down. As I'm but a youngin', my family has never seen it fit to buy such an expensive piece of hardware nor did I want to pay for it. Now that I'm going to college, I decided to take the plunge as most do.

Bahaha. So true!!!

10. windywoo macrumors 6502a

windywoo

Don't listen to this fool. If you buy a premade PC from a company like Dell there are no drivers to install, all that has been done. Likewise no need for workarounds, all setup for you. And viruses? Only stupid people get viruses.

Macs are fine machines, but they are expensive and more than the average user needs. If you think you will use iLife and lots of creative programs and want a brilliantly styled case around all that, buy a Mac. If you only surf the net or do Word Processing, don't waste your money. But you have already taken the plunge so you will find out for yourself that basic computing tasks can only be made user friendly to a certain point, and the difference in permforming those tasks on a Mac and PC is minimal.

11. iPhone3GCrazed thread starter macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

Ya live, ya learn. If I find it's too much computer for me then I won't buy one again.

12. Nordichund macrumors 6502

Yeah PC users :D

13. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

You know, I think that Macs are great computers but I find this arguement about viruses to be really lame, let alone people alleging PC users must be stupid because of all the viruses or whatever.

For the record, I had the same amount of viruses on all the PCs I owned as I have on all the macs I own.

Zero.

If you want to make people convert then tell them why a Mac is better, not why Windows is worse.

14. iPhone3GCrazed thread starter macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

Just wanted to bring this thread back from the depths... I made an appointment at the Genius Bar and took a trip to the Apple Store in West Hartford, CT (West Farms Mall). I stroll up to the Genius Bar and here's how the conversation went:

Me: "I saw on an online tutorial on the Apple website that you can do file transfers from PC to Mac, could you do that for me today?"

The Apple Guy: "Did you purchase One-to-One when you purchased your Mac?"

Me: "No, I did not."

The Apple Guy: "Well in order for me to do the file transfer you had to buy One-to-One when you purchased the computer."

Me: "Well the video tutorial on the APPLE website didn't say anything about One-to-One."

The Apple Guy: "It was probably one of those things where there was an asterisk."

Me: "It was a video... there was no asterisk."

The Apple Guy: (went to talk to his manager) "I don't see a way that we can get around the system... you can purchase One-to-One today for $99 if you want."

Me: "No, thanks I'll do it myself."

And I did. It took 2 hours tranferring all 1,915 songs from my PC to my Mac using a 2 GB Flash Drive but I did it. So just as a precaution... don't let this vdieo fool you.

$99 for a file transfer and some tutorials in the Apple Store on stuff I already know how to do... ridiculous.

15. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Now if only the Mac would prevent people from using stupid fonts. :rolleyes:

16. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

Well, for $99, you could also get a solid (even portable) external hard drive.

I, myself, have a Western Digital Passport, as shown here:

[​IMG]