Question on Muti-adapter/battery charging issues on 2016 MacbookPro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jngphoto, May 20, 2017.

1. jngphoto macrumors newbie

I use this multi adapter adapter from Monoprice to connect my Dell monitor, external keyboard, and power cable to my 15" 2016 MacBookPro.

Recently, on a few occasions, I noticed that while plugged in to this Multi-Adapter, that my battery is not charging. If I unplug and replug, it seems to start charging again.

My question is if the Muti-Adapter is flaky, my USB-3 port is flaky, or other? This happened once when it drained to 0 and my computer wouldn't start up again. I had it repaired by Apple, where they replaced the logic board.

Attached is a screen shot of my Activity Monitor when I notice my battery level dropping.

Screen Shot 2017-05-20 at 1.54.55 PM.png

2. Patcell macrumors 6502

I took a fast look at the product page and didn't see any specs on the power delivery rating. One possibility is that this adapter is not providing enough juice to your notebook to support what you are doing with the machine and charge the battery simultaneously. If an attached power source does not provide sufficient wattage, the Mac will draw from battery to make up the difference.

The 15" 2016 pro comes with an 87 watt power adapter, I would find out what wattage throughput this adapter supports. Again, I didn't see it after a cursory scan of the product page...

Does your Mac charge properly when connected directly to the power source via the same port you use this adapter with? If so, an issue with the port is most likely ruled out, and the problem is with the adapter.

3. jngphoto thread starter macrumors newbie

That's my guess as well. I think the Multi Adapter only supplies 57 watt power. So I guess I have to deal with this. My only concern was the one time it drained to 0, I nor the Apple Genius was able to start it back up, thus they replace the logic board. After the repair, when it did drain to 2%, I quickly unplugged the adapter and used the Apple supplied power adapter only, and it started charging up again.