Question on my iMac order - should I change?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Sue De Nimes, Dec 3, 2012.

1. Sue De Nimes macrumors 6502a

Sue De Nimes

I ordered the following spec iMac on launch day.

27" 3.4GHz i7
    GeForce 680MX
    8GB RAM
    3TB HDD

I was struggling to justify the extra £200 for the Fusion upgrade. Am I going to regret it?

I am going to buy more RAM and fit is myself. On my current machine I use Bootcamp for gaming under Windows. I know that Bootcamp doesn't work with the 3TB drive at the moment and I ordered in the hope that would change.

Do I take the risk with Bootcamp and my current spec or should I (a) order the 1TB Fusion or (b) go all in and get the 3TB fusion.

I don't need 3TB of storage but I think I need more that 1TB. Games are getting bigger and my Steam folder on the windows partition is getting huge!

Also, would adding an external thunderbolt SSD be an option for fusion style performance?

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I can't imagine you have so many games on Steam that you're actively playing. Once you bought them on Steam, they're yours, and you can delete any you're not using and reinstall them later if you want them again.

I don't expect the 3TB bootcamp restriction to be solved any earlier than the 2013 iMac. It's a combo hardware & software problem.

I would definitely change to Fusion instead of 3TB.

3. zhandri macrumors 6502

the fusion drive only has a 128gb SSD part which i find kinda bad for the 3TB fusion drive. just buy an external thunderbolt SSD with 256GB and you'll be fine. (this will still be cheaper than the fusion drive)

but in case u want an all in one solution, change it to the fusion drive. the difference between an old HDD and a SSD is really huge

4. Sue De Nimes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sue De Nimes

I know I can reinstall any time I want but many of my games are the best part of 20GB - that is a lot to be downloading.

----------

Can I use the external SSD for fusion?

5. zhandri macrumors 6502

I doubt you can do your own fusion drive. you have to manage everything yourself. buy the fusion drive if you want the mac to manage all that stuff

6. Sue De Nimes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sue De Nimes

7. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

If you're worried about download time, or you're stuck with metered bandwidth, you can also Time Machine them onto an external and grab them when you need them.

8. pete78 macrumors member

I'm actually in the same boat, but have not ordered yet. I am leaning toward the 3TB since it's not that much more expensive than the 1TB, but then I am concerned about the Bootcamp issue. I'm not even sure I will need more than 1TB, but I plan to use Lightroom and have and will have tons of RAW and JPEG images; each raw is about 18mb each. On the other hand, I could always get an external to store my processed images. Tough decision!

9. Sue De Nimes thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sue De Nimes

I changed and ordered the 1TB Fusion in the end.