Question on new MBP for med school

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JVK07, May 14, 2008.

1. JVK07 macrumors newbie

I am buying a new MBP for med school which starts in the end of July and I have a couple of questions.

Is there a big difference in performance between the two 15" models? Is the performance bump for the more expensive model worth it???

I will mostly be using this for normal everyday use with some medical imaging. Thanks!

2. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

Im guessing Medical Imaging isnt 3D Rendering, so no, you will see basically no performance increase.

3. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

IMO, most likely your med school's IT will be PC-centric, so you might not want to have to get into self-support right away. You might consider a cheaper PC.

Assuming you want the Mac, you're going to be hauling this thing around for a long time, you'll probably want it to last as long as possible (e.g., be "current"). So I'd shoot for the fastest/best one you could afford.

There's some lean years ahead of indentured servitude. :)

Actually, it very well could be. DICOM slices can be rendered in 3D/4D/5D for navigation.

4. JVK07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually the school is really pushing macs on new students, which is a good thing IMO since I am an avid mac user. Thanks for the advice!

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Wow, excellent! That's great to hear!

In my lengthy experience, medical institutions are lumbering giants that are slow to adapt to new technology. Particularly those of a non-Windows world.

I'd definitely shoot for the top that you can afford then. And definitely factor in the price of getting AppleCare.
    You'll kick yourself if you don't and your LCD or logic board crap out.