Question on new MPB's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skygremlin, Aug 24, 2015.

1. skygremlin macrumors member

OK so it’s been a couple of years since I looked at hardware and a new MBP. But I am now in the market to replace my work 13" MBA with a 15" MBP(Hopefully).

My work MBA:
    - 13” 2 GHz i7 with 2 Dual Core

I also have a personal MBP(bought refurbished from Apple):
    - 15” 2.6 GHz, i7 Quad Core

My question is my personal MBP is a mid 2012 model, I looked on Apple.com and the high end MBP is a 2.5 GHz i7 Quad core. Can somebody educate me on performance and speed between my 3 year old MBP and the current one’s for sale?

Is there something I’m missing..

thanx

2. NOSFERATU macrumors newbie

NOSFERATU

Here you go… https://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

This is a complete benchmark test list of Macs. Just find yours and the new model you are looking for, you can get the level of performance increase by comparing the results for both

3. ImpulseStrike00 macrumors newbie

ImpulseStrike00

Check the single, and the multi core scores. https://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

the GPU will be a huge improvement, and the default ram is 16GB now. But you should wait if you can, big upgrades should be right around the corner.

4. skygremlin thread starter macrumors member

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

I would say upgrades, not big upgrades.

6. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

fwiw, that model is configurable up to 2.8GHz (+ $200)

Screen Shot 2015-08-24 at 10.28.20 PM.png

7. ImpulseStrike00 macrumors newbie

ImpulseStrike00

Thunderbolt 3, DDR4 RAM, plus an iGPU thats more powerful than the current dGPU. Thunderbolt 3 alone is enough to call it significant, IMHO.

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

Not really DDR4 is much the same as DDR3 currently, (and looks unlikely to come to some of the mobile skylake chips, so may not be adopted at all by apple this time round). Intel have been making outrageous claims for their iGPU's for years that never come to fruition and thunderbolt 3 is only of any real use on a portable computer for connecting to 5K screens which currently are very thin on the ground and prohibitively expensive.