Question on newer ifixit pentalobular driver.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RebeccaL, Apr 21, 2011.

1. RebeccaL macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

I read that the original ifixit pentalobular screwdriver had a poor fit and damaged the screws:

The one included in their "Liberation Kit": http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts/iPhone-4-Liberation-Kit/IF182-019

Are the two newest drivers a proper fit?

This one is called "Opression Kit": http://www.ifixit.com/iPhone-Parts/iPhone-4-Oppression-Kit/IF182-020

And a very expensive Screwdriver only: http://www.ifixit.com/Tools/iPhone-4-5-Point-Pentalobe-Screwdriver/IF145-096

Thanks.

And by the way the names ifixit give to their kits are ridiculous. Opression and liberation kits :rolleyes:

2. iFiend, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011

iFiend macrumors 65816

The liberation kit description used to state that it isn't the best driver to get the special screws out but it will work. Since you'll be replacing them with the old phillips screws once you remove them it doesn't matter. The opression kit was a joke for April Fool's day (can't believe they're still selling them) that does the opposite - changes your screws to the crappy pentalobe ones. The pentalobe driver by itself is meant to keep your pentalobe screws but be able to take them out and put them back as often as you like (the best fit).

I opted for the pentalobe driver by itself because I am thinking if apple really wanted to they could see when your phone was manufactured to know if you were supposed to have the pentalobe or phillips. Wouldn't it suck if you took your phone in for service and they said your warranty was void because you swapped screws?

Use the code "12511FIXIT" (no quotations) to get $5 off ;)

3. RebeccaL thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Thanks!

Have you already used the single driver? How is the fit?

I find it a bit expensive for just a single screwdriver, but that code you posted will help in that regard:D

4. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

i have the original driver from the first liberation kit. could care less about the quality since it's just removing a couple of screws i dont want in the first place.

so far it's lasted me a few months and has never let me down after multiple reuses.

5. iFiend macrumors 65816

It works great. Not even a hint of screw stripping that I can see. And like I said in my original post, wouldn't it suck if they checked my screws, knew I was supposed to have pentalobe but had phillips, and voided my warranty? This is why I opted for the driver that will never strip the special screw.

If you don't care about that, like oakie, I'd go with the liberation kit. For an extra $5 it was worth piece of mind for me :)

6. RebeccaL thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Thanks guys for your opinions and advice.

I will opt for the more expensive single driver. I want to keep the original screws. If I was out of warranty I would not mind the screws but for now is best to keep it stock.

7. iFiend macrumors 65816

Precisely why I chose the single driver :) Did that coupon work for you?

8. RebeccaL thread starter macrumors 6502a

RebeccaL

Yes it worked thanks.

And for the people following this thread: If the coupon expires there are some more over at reatilmenot.com.

9. johndallas999 macrumors 6502a

johndallas999

Cool, that code makes the kit 4.95. Thanks!