Question on Old System Folder and duplicate Apps folder

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iSaint, Apr 15, 2007.

1. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I'm on my second Apple computer, a G4 Powerbook. I used Migration Assistant to bring my data and programs over from my old iBook. I have found two folders that I want to know more about. I'm not so worried about HD space at this point.

One is the System Folder (from old Mac). It is what it says. Do I need to retain this folder and its contents?

Picture 1.png

The other I have just discovered. It is a completely duplicated Applications folder within the (Computer Name)>Applications folder. How did this happen, and should I / can I delete its contents?

Picture 2.png

Thanks in advance...

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Migration Assistant is a bit buggy sometimes. You can delete the previous system folder and probably the Applications folder. Just make sure there's nothing in the second Applications folder that isn't already in the main one.

If ever you're worried about whether you can delete a file or folder, there's a pretty neat way of finding out almost for sure. Simply drag it/them to the Trash and restart. Use the machine normally for a day/week/fortnight or whatever and if the system is acting normally, you can empty the Trash. The files in the Trash can't really be accessed by the system, so this will show you whether they're necessary or not. :)

3. iSaint thread starter macrumors 603

iSaint

Roger that, mad man! I'll give it a go this week. Thanks!!!

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew