Question on Optibay and SSD with Bootcamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Danno21, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Danno21 macrumors regular

Danno21

So I know you can install Windows on another drive and set it in the optibay and all, but is it possible after installing everything, to put the Windows drive into the main bay and OS X in the optibay instead?

I play a lot of games and would prefer my Bootcamp drive to be in the main drive for SATA 3 6GB speeds (have 2011 Macbook Pro 15 inch) and then have OS X in the optibay with a SATA 2 3GB SSD.

Have looked but no one has mentioned if you can put the OS X drive in the optibay instead.

Thanks!

2. satchow macrumors 6502

3. kanit macrumors member

4. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

you can switch the physical locations all you want without consequence. Just to clarify, do you have 2 SSDs? If windows is on a hard drive, the sata 3 port wouldn't offer any improvement in performance (though your setup would still be the optimal one).

5. Danno21 thread starter macrumors regular

Danno21

Okay thanks.

Yeah, I am putting Windows on a SATA 6GB SSD in the main bay and OS X on a SATA 3GB SSD in the optibay. I'd do both 6GB, but don't want to risk my optibay not recognizing it even though both ports say they're 6GB.

6. onetimeking macrumors newbie

Hey there,

I have 2 ssd installed as well in a mid-2010 macbook pro.

Wondering if you have upgraded to lion? I am having super drama with the optical drive's ssd after the update.

Would really appreciated the update.

Cheers,