Question on Powerbook 160

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by fourthdimension, Dec 5, 2008.

1. fourthdimension macrumors newbie

Hey All

I have a Powerbook 160 in nearly mint condition and perfect working order. I was told by a friend that it may be worth something. Can anyone here confirm that? If so, where is the best place to sell old macs?
    Thanks.

2. Sly macrumors 6502

Sly

Sorry to break it to you but it's not worth much unless you have all the original packaging, disks and manuals. In the UK it would be worth around £15. As usual you will get the most for it on ebay.

Does the battery still hold a charge?

3. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

Honestly, its not worth much of anything. The only old Macs that really are worth "something" are the rare ones like the Macintosh TV, Powerbook 2400c, and maybe the Network Servers. If you think its worth your time to sell, ask $15-$20 for it on Craigslist or ebay. The honest truth is, even parents that are looking at a cheap computer to buy for a kid are going to be able to buy an old G3 Powerbook or iBook for less than $70. Since the Powerbook 160 is black and white, runs no better than OS 7.6, has a measly hard drive and probably needs a new battery, nobody really wants to deal with them.

4. fourthdimension thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. That makes sense. I was told it was old enough to become a collectors item, but I guess not. :cool:

5. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

It kinda sucks because it probably is "old enough" its just not rare enough. I've got a ton of old Macs laying around that are just so obsolete they're really not even worth trying to sell. A lot of old LCII and Performa's that should probably just be recycled.

6. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

"Collectors item" doesn't always mean "worth a decent amount of money." I collect old Macs; but for most of them, the only reason I have them is because they were free, or less than $10. A PB160 would be in that category.

7. Rodus macrumors 6502a

Rodus

^^same here, i'd never pay much for an old mac and having friends that work for Apple I can generally get stuff that would otherwise be junked for free.
    It may be worth something in maybe 10 years time as most of the 1xx series (in working order) will have gone by then. Ebay isn't the best way for getting price estimates as people (especially in the UK) tend to way overprice vintage stuff, just look at pluses going for £100 etc.
    My tip for a collectable mac in 15 odd years is the 5200, yup, that hideous road Apple. Most people junked them once they realized how nasty they were and those that didn't upgraded with a 5400/6400 mobo. Mint, stock examples are going to become much harder to come by so if anyone has one, hang on to it.