Question on preparing iPhone to jailbrake

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by brezz, Aug 4, 2010.

1. brezz macrumors member

I'm very intrigued by jailbreaking, but I want to make sure I can restore effectively if I don't like it (or something is messed up). How do I make sure I have a pre-jailbreaking backup file that I can restore to if needed? Right now there is only one backup file that iTunes creates, and I'm afraid that if jailbreak and then sync, it will overwrite this backup file and I'll never be able to go back.

I've read somewhere that even after jailbreaking, when the iphone syncs it will back up only the non-jailbroken stuff. Is this true, or will I always have to restore from my pre-jailbroken file?

Thanks for the help.

2. mgmusicman94 macrumors 6502a

The itunes backup only saves personal data and settings. That data is on a different partition than the jailbreak files. The jailbreak files are on the partition with the firmware. That's why when you do a minor update (x.0 to x.1) your jailbreak data is wiped.

You should make an iTunes backup just in case something goes wrong with the jailbreak (highly unlikely). You can then restore from that backup and it will be just like it was before the jailbreak.

I hope I helped.

3. brezz thread starter macrumors member

Yup, that helps big time.

One more question . . . when I sync after jailbreaking the backup file that is created then will overwrite my previous "pre-jailbreak" backup. Will this create a problem if I want to restore at a later date? Do I need to do something to keep that "pre-jailbreak" backup separate from everything "post-jailbreak".

Thanks again.

Brian