Question on Ram....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbussiere, Dec 22, 2008.

1. jbussiere macrumors member

Hey Everyone. Been looking at the site for awhile, finally joined when I got my unibody Macbook Pro. Been Loving it, well, except for the screen flashing/flickering. Anyways, I have been doing research but couldn't find a specific post about ram in the unibody. Does it negate applecare? I've heard that opening up the back of the unibody negates applecare, but have also heard that changing Ram is ok under applecare. Which is it? Is it ok to get Ram from Crucial and install it myself? Without negating Applecare? Thanks guys.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Installing RAM has NEVER voided AppleCare. Voiding only happens if you break something while you're in there. You can even add a hard drive without voiding AppleCare on any model.

3. jbussiere thread starter macrumors member

Right, that's what I thought, But recently a screw came out of my girlfriends unibody macbook. We called Apple and they said if we unscrewed the back off her macbook, it would void the warranty. Don't you have to unscrew the back off the new unibodies to get to the ram?

4. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

If installing RAM on your Macbook voided the warranty, Apple wouldn't have this on their support pages:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1651