Question on "Recent Photos" in iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by atacinus, Sep 21, 2014.

1. atacinus macrumors 6502

Okay, I can swallow the changes in getting rid of the camera roll and I think I have a pretty good idea of how recent photos and the "all photos" tab keep my photos in sync between all of my devices (and some day my mac when the new photos app is released). However there is one use case that I cannot wrap my head around - any ideas what is going on here:

1) Take photo on my iPhone - this shows up on my iPhone under recent photos and in the photos tab.

2) This photo now also shows up on my iPad under my recent photos and the photos tab.

3) Now I sync my iPhone with my Mac and import those photos into iPhoto to have a hard backup. I also tell it to delete these photos from the device to free up storage space. (This is the workflow I have used forever)

4) HOWEVER now the photo that I just took no longer appears in recent photos on my iPhone OR on my "all photos" tab. IT DOES still remain in recent photos/all photos tab on my iPad (via iCloud I presume)...

What is going on here? Shouldn't these photos still stay in my "recent photos" on my iPhone given that that should hold the last 30 days/1000 photos? And shouldn't it live in the all photos tab since that's supposed to be where everything no matter which device I take it on lives?

I am so confused on this...how do I make sure to always keep my photos on my iPhone but also back them up to iPhoto - previously I could do this and they would remain (mostly) in photo stream...now it seems broken...help?

2. whyrichard macrumors 68000

i have found this all so confusing as well that I am surrendering all efforts to try to figure it out. I will wait for the new photos solution and then pass judgement, i just hope we don't have to wait for photos 3.6 for it all to work well together!

r.

3. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, same here - and I used to work for Apple! You'd think that I could figure something like this out, but they've made it so convoluted! The seamless process should work great in theory.....when Yosemite is out of beta....and then when we have the new photos app in 2015...But what NOW Apple?

4. Bulldog Dave macrumors member

Could someone answer this question for me please? When viewing a picture in portrate mode how do you get it to show in landscape mode used to be able to just turn phone and wala now nothing but portrate. I have the 6 on ios8

5. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

6. declandio macrumors 6502

It's cr@p but nowhere near as cr@p as Maps originally was!

I just keep all the cloud related stuff switched off (always have done when it comes to photos). Nice & simple.

However, you now have to delete items twice, due to the advent of a 'recently deleted' folder that will keep stuff you've deleted for 30 days. Can't figure out what kind of moron at Apple would a) think that's a good idea and b) approve said idea for implementation.

Deleting stuff twice? Feels very Microsoft like. D'oh!

7. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Photos and iCloud photos are now more closely linked

The new routine is more logical to me. The idea is when importing is to sort favourite and assign to an album which you can then post to iCloud and even share for further collaboration and comments

There is a slight confusion I admit when choosing to delete from your device after import. This is of course a slight out of sync issue with ios8 talking to Mavericks iphoto.

Deleting on your device puts it into deleted items. If you clear these then iCloud now knows to clear them from your stream/recent photos too. I think this is there as a safety net now photo stream and camera is now the same thing.

Get into the habit of using your recent activity as just that recent activity to import, favourite, edit and manage into albums. Then you can share these and keep things organised.

The disconnect here is Mavericks. Maybe iPhoto on Yosemite behaves differently?

8. cynics macrumors G4

Question on "Recent Photos" in iOS 8

Just so I'm following because I'm probably misunderstanding you.

You manually sync your iPhone to your Mac and then you tell it to delete the photos from the device, then you are surprised it deletes the photos from your phone?

If you want it to save space then delete them (that means they are gone), if you don't want to save space then don't delete them.

Like I said I'm probably misunderstanding what you are saying or something.

EDIT: btw why not just import your photostream photos on the Mac instead of hooking up the phone? That's what it's designed for.

9. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, that's the best summary I've seen so far and fits nicely with what I'm thinking. And no, iPhoto on Yosemite is the same (that's what I'm on now) - it looks like we're just going to have a broken syncing to computer system until the new photos app comes along.

I do think that will be great because then I won't have to sync manually at all - it'll just do it and I can have a hard backup on my hard drive, but that's not coming until 2015 - I really can't believe Apple wouldn't have a fix in place for iPhoto or something since this is a common use-case.

This feels really bungled...I'm sure it'll shake out in the end, but why launch with only half of the pieces in place??

----------

Thanks cynics, yeah, I think you're misunderstanding - previously I could sync to my Mac, delete from iPhone and the photos still lived in my photostream (the first 1,000 that is).

Now when I delete from the device they delete from recent on that device only (they stay in recent on other devices) but I also can't access them from the "all photos" tab either which supposedly is part "in the cloud" and part "local storage".

Just a mess...

10. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Yes perhaps when the new rumoured iPhoto app comes out all this will be a little more seamless.

I'm personally looking forward to that, iPhoto is very dated and needs some further capabilities.

11. cynics macrumors G4

Ahh gotcha. Here is the thing. The photostream folder was local storage. It was a duplicate of photo. It was a huge waste of space.

The way you were importing was redundant as you had it set up to use photostream (weather it was turned on on the Mac or not) and you were doing it manually.

You can do two things now. Import manually and just not delete keeping in mind the same amount of storage will be used.

Or import from photostream in iPhoto's then delete from your photostream which will delete from anything that didn't originally take the pic.

12. atacinus thread starter macrumors 6502

AHHH!! Okay, that makes sense!! I guess I always knew that photostream was local storage as I could access them while offline, but I hadn't really thought about it like that.

Okay, I think what I'll do for now is simply not delete when syncing to iPhoto (I don't trust photostream on iPhoto - it doesn't seem to really update that quickly). And then I'll reassess the whole situation when photos for OS X launches in a few months.

I guess it's not a huge deal since I'm going from a 32gb iPhone 5 to a 64gb iPhone 6 anyway ;-p

13. notrack macrumors 6502

Photostream only gives you a scaled down version but not the original. Idk if that has changed on iOS 8.

14. InsideTJ macrumors regular

I've had a similar routine for years, but i use image capture on the mac to import from my iPhone (with 'delete' checked). these go to a temporary local folder, then i copy them in year/month folders on my NAS. This is my master copy and I don't tinker with these. It is redundantly backed up in a couple of places. If I want them on my mac's iPhoto, I import them from my masters on the NAS.

I have not offloaded any photos since iOS 8. How will this change affect me? I assume they'll still be in photo stream on my mac/ipad, or at least the last 1000.

15. tkao2025 macrumors regular

I do the exact same thing as the OP. Just really annoying that all the photos would disappear after deleting, when they did not before. The one way around was to turn off photo stream and than turn back on. Now I think I will just not delete off phone.

However, I do have one question. Does the photos that you've taken with your iPhone disappear after a certain number of days (i.e., will delete off phone memory)? If you never delete off the phone wouldn't that just take up all your memory after awhile? If you need to clear your phone to make room and you delete photos from memory, wouldn't we run into the same problem again?