Question on Returning 15" MBP and Picking-Up 17"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RetroGamer360, Sep 3, 2009.

1. RetroGamer360 macrumors member

After much deliberation I have decided to return the 15" MBP that I picked-up on August 25th and bring home a new 17" MBP 2.8GHz. I think (hope) that the extra $700 will be well spent on the CPU upgrade (2.53 3MB L2 to 2.80 6MB L2), Hard drive upgrade (250GB to 500GB), 9600GT and higher resolution screen. (As you can see I am still selling my-self on the idea :cool:.)

Anywho ... My two questions are:

1 - Will the Apple Store still charge me the 10% restocking fee even though I am upgrading?

2 - What are the chances that the 17" will be as solid a machine as I currently have? The 15" I have now has no dead pixels and everything works well. I would hate to swap out and spend the extra $700 only to end up with an expensive lemon that is a headache. (That has happened to me in the past.)

Any and all input is appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Michael

2. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

I doubt they will charge restocking if you're upgrading. Most people report that Apple will waive restocking if you're still buying a Mac just want a trade. If you want a refund for cash, they will most definitely charge the restocking fees.

I think the 17" MBP is the grand daddy of them all. I think Apple touts it as its real "Professional" Mac. I definitely think you will get a wonderful Mac. Remember that most reports you see are people who complain, and that's probably far less than 5% of sales... at most.

Good luck.

3. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Why are you swapping? The top end 15" is the Apple sweet spot.

4. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

he does not have the high end 15", he has the 2.53GHz. he is swapping because he wants a faster CPU and a bigger screen with higher resolution. just as he stated in the original post.

why do you think because you LOVE the high end 15" MBP that no one else should buy anything but that?

OP: as for the restocking charge, it depends. depends on the store, the person you deal with, the manager, they day they are having, and most of all, if you have exchanged computers frequently in the past. I exchanged last week 13' for 15" and had to pay the restock. I would go in and say,"I bought the 15" 2.53GHz but find i need more of a machine. I think i am going to exchange it for the high end 15" ($2299). at this point ask if there is a restock fee if they say no we will waive it, say in that case i'll take the 17".

if they say yes, you will have to pay a restock. tell them that if they are willing to waive the fee, you will take the money for that restock and pay even more to get the 17" if they waive the restock. this way they still feel like they are getting your 10% more because you are going to buy more machine because of the waive.

5. emcham macrumors member

given that you bought it so recently, i would guess they wouldn't charge a restocking fee. the friendlier you are, and the more patient about being put on hold you are, the better chance they will go out of their way to help you.

i would emphasize that you decided you need more power out of your computer, rather than saying how you'll be giving them more money by upgrading. that would show how much you want it and that you'd ultimately pay a restocking fee to get it...

good luck!

6. vant macrumors 65816

If it doesn't work the first time, feel free to walk out and come another day. Try other stores too.

7. adamjackson macrumors 65816

You're going to love the 17". I have the 3.06Ghz model and it's the best Mas I've ever owned! the screen can be hard to see if you have bad eye sight but it's a very portable full size computer with a resolution that matches most 24" LCD displays. Totally worth every dollar!

8. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

i have difficulty seeing on the 17" i've seen in the store. and to be honest, that size frightens me.

it took alot to go from a 13" to a 15". i would have had a coronary if the 17" had been in the mix for me.

what made you make that leap into such a big machine, and can you comfortably use it on your lap?

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

The seventeen inch machine is a work machine. Not something you're going to want to use in your lap.

10. kolax macrumors G3

Debate the glossy vs. matte too - check out the 17" in matte, looks stunning.

It isn't that bad. I've used my friends 17" on my lap, and while it does cover a lot of my lap, it is still fine.

I'm upgrading to a 17" once I can find a buyer for my 15".

11. adamjackson macrumors 65816

It's very comfortable on my lap. It seems big but it's not really. it's too big to travel with (in my opinion) but the battery life and screen resolution is epic. Plus it never gets hot cause there's more space to dissipate heat.

PLUS. i have a MacBook Air so I go back and forth.

12. RetroGamer360 thread starter macrumors member

Well I completed the swap earlier this evening and just completed a restore from my Time Machine back-up. Really quite a painless process.

Everything went very smoothly at the local Apple Store. They didn't charge me a restocking fee and in fact didn't even try to. The Manager as very cool and helpful as well. Overall another very positive experience at the Apple Store. I know Apple products are expensive but I think the retail experience goes a long way to make you feel justified in your purchase.

As far as the 17" goes I really like it. Not much bigger but faster and the higher resolution screen is fantastic. I agree that the 9600M GT is hot and really warms up the right side where my hand rests while typing.

Overall cost me $745.00 which I feel was well spent (I just have to keep telling my wife that :cool:.

Thank you again to one and all!

Michael