Question on safari history and private browsing, PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by steviebree, Dec 28, 2009.

1. steviebree macrumors newbie

Hi,
    It appears as though there may be some suspicious activity occurring on the family computer and I am hoping for some help with a few questions.

Firstly, "private browsing", "reset safari" and "empty cache" all appear under the edit menu in safari. I don't recall having seen them earlier, does this mean they have been recently used or is it part of the standard menu?

Also, in the internet history whilst no webpages can be found there are some obscene jpegs. Images found in the internet history, have they been deliberately viewed or is it possible that they find their way there behind the scenes?
    I would greatly appreciate some help.
    Many thanks,
    Stevie

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

a.) They are part of the standard menu system

b.) Highly highly unlikely that the sites were viewed without user action.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

[​IMG]

2. What do you mean by that? Are those just JPEG files and no websites? Can you see where they are located (off or online)?

4. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

Part of standard menu - is there anything in history? Or cache? If not, then they have likely been used recently.

Images don't just 'find their way' somewhere :eek: Worst case (most likely by far), someone has been peeking where you don't want them to. Best case, someone visited a dubious website which then opened up a bunch of windows with worse stuff in it which they then closed.

There are apps you can get which will restrict the sites someone can visit. Netnanny was one I used on PC a while back and I see there is a Mac version. Technically capable users would likely be able to circumvent such an app.

5. steviebree thread starter macrumors newbie

the pictures are located online. they all appear in my temporary internet files in the following format;
    resizer.aspz?width=156&url=http.... (with different urls) .. .jpg

however if i try to search the following url i get nothing, only when i double click on the jpeg icon i can view the picture.

Thanks so much for your help,