Question on self installing RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dta, Feb 25, 2011.

1. dta macrumors newbie

I wonder why there is such a big price difference between the RAM upgrades offered by the apple's online store and the other RAM's available at stores like Newegg etc. Is Hynix that Apple uses that much better to the alternatives? I just don't want to end up buying a nice computer with a 2nd tier RAM after spending that much money. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

2. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

Put into simplest terms, Apple just overcharges for upgrades. You pretty much pay a premium to have it done by Apple. You're best to get yourself OWC or Crucial RAM, it works great and you save a lot of money.

3. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

Apple obviously charges for the labour of replacing the RAM. If you don't mind doing it yourself, clearly you'll save money. But as some Apple tech has to do it for you if you CTO, I don't see why Apple's upgrade pricing is over the top.

4. dta thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you both. I take that the RAM brand Hynix is not magically superior to OWC or Crucial, right? So just Apple taxes and workmanship is the difference?

5. mdgm macrumors 6502a

Apple has to remove the stock RAM, install the CTO RAM and then retest the machine to verify it works fine, then if it finds faulty RAM swap that RAM out for more RAM and test again.

If you're prepared to do the installation yourself and run the small risk that the RAM you get may be damaged somehow and arrive to you DOA, then go ahead and buy compatible RAM from a 3rd party.

6. iTouch.lover22 macrumors regular

No matter how much more workmanship goes into upgrading the RAM it's still going to be overpriced from Apple :p And if you order from trusted places, like OWC, they usually have lifetime warranty to give you peace of mind. I remember reading a thread where a large batch of RAM was faulty, but from what I read, everyone had the problem sorted out.

Although there's a premium price for 'better' brands such as Kingston, all RAM does the same job and as long as it's not faulty, you wont have a problem.

7. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...some are nervous about opening up their own machines, when you purchase it as a CTO option it also gets covered by applecare...

IF I get/keep a MBA, I will get it with 4Gb Ram and apple care so the SSD and RAM/GPU/CPU (whole logic board) are covered...

On a MBP, I would up the ram and SSD myself as 3rd party companies give the same or longer warranties on their products...(and your not purchasing "extra" "extended" applecare).