Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Agent 21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
I'm not selling mine, nor am I buying a used one, but I've always wondered what happens to the device's registration when doing so? I guess it applies for iPods as well. Will it just say "_____'s iPhone" (or whatever the original owner named it) forever or is there a way to change the name/registration info attatched to it?

abijnk

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
You can easily change this at any time by restoring the phone/ipod or clicking on the name in the device list and changing it that way.

Agent 21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
You can easily change this at any time by restoring the phone/ipod or clicking on the name in the device list and changing it that way.

Ah OK. I've never been a huge Apple guy (don't shoot me lol), I just got an iPod last year (loved the look and features of 'em but hated being FORCED into iTunes/AAC so I just never got one, 'til I recieved one as a gift, love it though), and while I've wanted an iPhone since the first one was ever announced, a combo of AT&T being WRETCHED in my area until maybe 6mths ago and being stuck in a new 2yr plan with another company prevented me from snagging one of 'em when I wanted to. Someone once told me that with an iPod/iPhone once you register it it's that info forever. Kid was an Apple nut so I figured he knew what he was talking about but I always wondered why you'd see so many iPods/phones on eBay if they were "always going to display the original info".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.