Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveJobs2.0

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
My main hardware issue with Apple Watch (series 0)is that the speaker is not loud enough and the mic could be more sensitive. Are these two things better in Series 2? Apple documentation on this is not clear.

Last edited:

Macaddict16

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2002
My main hardware issue with Apple Watch (series 0)is that the speaker is not loud enough and the mic could be more sensitive. Are these two things better in Series 2? Apple documentation on this is not clear.

I don't use the speaker, but Siri seems to recognize me more than my Series 0.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I don't use the speaker, but Siri seems to recognize me more than my Series 0.
That's only because she has more computing power to work with than series 0. There are videos on YouTube comparing this and both are similar and in some cases the series 0 sounded clearer. Who knows the circumstances before and after the tests though. I can't be bothered to search for them now but I'll look tomorrow for you.

zamboni52

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Colorado Springs
I've had the Series 0,1 and now the 2. The alerts and phone calls sound louder and clearer in my opinion. I don't know if this was an improvement because the speaker is now also used to eject water from the speaker area using loud tones. It's still not loud enough for conference calls, but definitely loud enough to carry on a conversation in a moving car.

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
That's only because she has more computing power to work with than series 0. There are videos on YouTube comparing this and both are similar and in some cases the series 0 sounded clearer. Who knows the circumstances before and after the tests though. I can't be bothered to search for them now but I'll look tomorrow for you.
Does Siri work locally on the Watch now?
I thought Siri is completely server side?

Because I was under the impression Siri needs a connection to your iPhone (which has to have a data connection) or for the Watch to be connected directly to wifi in order for Siri to send the recorded voice command to the Apple servers to deduce what is being said?

Just tried putting my iPhone in airplane mode, disconnected symbol on my series 0 pops up. Tried asking Siri to start a timer. Get the message 'No Siri connection, Apple Watch can't find your iPhone to access Siri. '

Does this happen on a series 2?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.