Question on SHSH and blobs. New to jailbreaking.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Lend27, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Lend27 macrumors member

SHSH? Blobs? What are they? Should I back them up? Very new to jailbreaking.
    My iphone 4S is jailbroken with the new greenpois0n.
    I have the Pkgbackup program. It has an option for SHSH backup and talks about blobs.
    Should I select those backup options?
    What benefit does it provide?
    What would I do in the event my iphone gets upgraded to 5.1 accidently? How would I use the blobs or SHSH to get my phone back to 5.0.1?

Sorry for all the questions......very new to jailbreaking.

Thanks
    Len

2. Feed Me macrumors 6502a

Feed Me

H

Okay, basically, whenever you change the firmware your device is running (by updating, restoring, etc), iTunes will contact Apple's servers to obtain the unique SHSH blob for the firmware and your device. Without this SHSH blob, your device's firmware can't be changed.

Apple traditionally only provides these SHSH blobs for the most recent firmware (5.0.1 in this case) - which means if you want to downgrade your firmware to anything before 5.0.1 - the restore will fail.

Saving these SHSH blobs as they become available is therefore the only way to enable yourself to be able to downgrade firmware (if for instance you accidentally update and can't jailbreak). Apps like TinyUmbrella (PC/Mac) will allow you to use your saved SHSH blobs to restore, exactly as if Apple was providing them.

This was all true until iOS 5 came out, which added extra security features to stop the use of saved SHSH blobs. For a 4S user like you, SHSH blobs currently have no use whatsoever. For people who have older devices, SHSH blobs can still be used to downgrade to iOS 4 and below.

The current advice is to continue saving your SHSH blobs regardless, as jailbreak developers may as yet find a use for them.

Hope this helped. :D

3. ISO:HELP macrumors regular

ISO:HELP

Hey squashy-

When I open up the absinthe app the jailbreak button does not let me click it..
    What could I be doing wrong?

iphone running 5.0.1

4. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

Are you right clicking on absinthe and "Run as Admin"? Windows I assume?

5. ISO:HELP macrumors regular

ISO:HELP

Im using a macbook to JB...so no right clicking...Running osx10.6.8