Question on sim swap on a new line, not upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CBR900RR, Oct 13, 2011.

1. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

I am on AT&T ip4 and my wife is on tmobile unlock blackberry, I did the pre order ip4s and transfer her number to AT&T, when I receive the ip4s tomorrow, this is what I am planning to do

1. Activate her new ip4s with the new micro sim on itune, I believe once I do that, her old sim will be dead.

2. Swap my ip4 and her ip4s micro sim

3. Put her micro sim in a sim adapter and put it in her old unlock blackberry.(That's what she prefer to use)

4. Call AT&T to drop the data plan on her blackberry

5. Have AT&T convert both line to family plan

Does it sounds right, I don't want to mess up my corporate discount and unlimited data plan. Thanks

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

That should do it. Although AT&T might not be happy about having a blackberry without a dataplan on their network.

3. CBR900RR thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is data plan require for the blackberry on AT&T network?

4. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

Yes, all smartphones require a data plan these days. The easiest would be to just open the iP4S, take the SIM from your iP4 and put it in the iP4S. Thats it. You wont even need to touch your wifes blackberry. Turn it on and if youve already got an iCloud backup just sign in and watch magic happen.

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I'm not entirely sure. They do for many of the smartphones they offer new. Not sure how much of a deal they would make about it in your situation.

6. CBR900RR thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. dave006 macrumors 68020

This is bad information for the OP. Since you are porting your wife's number in to AT&T, she will need an AT&T SIM so you still have to do something to activate a SIM for her. Her BB uses as Mini-SIM which is larger than the newer Micro-SIM so it would be best to pick up a new Mini-SIM for her BB and then answer the next question.

Did you order from Apple or AT&T?

Dave

8. CBR900RR thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am planning to activate the new sim in the ip4s first, once activated, I will use a sim adapter and put the new sim in her blackberry.

I just test my old ip4 sim with the sim adaptor on her blackberry and it pick up signal fine.

9. dave006 macrumors 68020

Yes, that will work just fine. It would have helped if you had mentioned that you already had a Mini-SIM adapter.

Dave