Question on swapping HDD's and transferring data to new MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gpatrick15, Dec 12, 2011.

1. gpatrick15 macrumors regular

My late 2009 MBP 13" died on me this past summer. The only part salvaged was the hard drive. I am waiting until January to buy a new one.

My question is: will my data from the old hard drive from my Snow Leopard MBP be transferrable to the new one running Lion? I had purchased Office and had put a lot of music, video, pictures, and applications on there. The HDD was only 160 GB, and it was nearly full. I just just want to know whether or not my stuff (specifically Office, I don't want to buy a new copy) will be able to transfer and work without a hitch. Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your data, yes. As for apps, they need to be installed on Lion and some may not be compatible.

3. gpatrick15 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. The only major app I had was whatever the latest version of Office for Mac was. Will I have to repurchase it? Or just go through the installation process again, as I'm assuming the necessary files and executables are stored on the hard drive.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, you won't have to repurchase it. Just install it on Lion.

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

And enter your existing license key.

6. gpatrick15 thread starter macrumors regular

Regarding the licensing key, I don't have it. Will it be stored with the rest of the installation files?