Question on Switching to Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hokiepokie07, Jan 11, 2011.

1. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

I am currently on AT&T, but have terrible service. Is it possible to get a loaner phone until I can order the iPhone on Verizon? Will that cost any money if I decide to do that?

Thanks.

2. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Buy one of those go phones, they are really cheap.

3. NKT macrumors regular

I would go into a store and ask. Couldn't hurt.

My gut would be no, but you never know. Sales people can do some crazy stuff to get the sale ;)

4. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I may just do that too.

I was thinking of just using a friend or family member's old Verizon phone, and port my number into that until the iPhone gets on Verizon.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Do you want to do this in an effort to pre order before new customers? Just buy a cheap phone on eBay. I doubt you'll get a loaner phone.

6. NKT macrumors regular

If you activate your VZW line with a borrowed device you won't be eligible for the discounted device price on the iPhone 4.

I know it stinks, but your best bet is to wait till it's out and port at that time...

7. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That, and AT&T is terrible in my area. I'll probably just wait until Feb. 10th so I can get the discounted price.

8. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

You couldn't be more incorrect. If the OP borrows a device from a family member or a friend and goes to Verizon and wants to activate that device, they will do so. The OP in no way is getting a subsidized phone from Verizon, so the discount would be available, until the OP uses it. I've activated many phones on Verizon in the past, and since none of them were subsidized by Verizon to me on my contract, I always had upgrades available.

9. NKT macrumors regular

I will defer to your experience. I've never tried to activate a new line with an existing device and then do an upgrade shortly after...

10. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

goto www.gazelle.com and sell your iPhone. Use the money to pay the early termination fee and pay the difference to get the verizon iphone.

11. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Yeah, as long as you don't get a subsidized phone from Verizon, you will have your upgrade. If you take a device to them that you had previously, or got from somebody, they will activate it for you so you can use their service, but you are not technically under a contract with them. Same goes for buying a phone full price.

12. NKT macrumors regular

Sounds like that's the solution for the OP then. Activate now on an old phone, then when the iP4 becomes available do the upgrade at the discounted price.

13. hokiepokie07 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the help! That sounds like what I'm going to do. I'll head over to a Verizon store later this week with a family member's Verizon phone they don't use.

I'll ask the Verizon employees first to make sure what I want will work.

I'll try and remember to repost on here what happens incase anyone else wants to do it.

14. NKT macrumors regular

Good luck!