Question on tethering

Discussion in 'iPad' started by LotuSviLLe, Oct 17, 2010.

1. LotuSviLLe macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

So quick generic question on internet tethering for the iPad.

If I get Internet tethering on my iPhone through AT&T my iPad could potentially connect through the Internet via my iPhone correct?

Thanks.

2. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I don't believe so, as the official tethering mode is USB or Bluetooth only. You can jailbreak and install mywi, but that might be your only option.

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i didnt know that tethering through AT&T was legal in the US?

i dontbelieve that you can do this without jailbreaking.

4. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

There is a tethering plan on AT&T. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think it's $20 extra a month. I'm unsure of how tethering is supported (like the first reply says). But, if you're not opposed to jailbreaking, then mywi is a fantastic alternative as it makes your iphone a wifi hotspot and will allow pretty much any device to connect to it.

**EDIT** just read that you have to have the DataPro plan, so if you have unlimited data, you would have to give it up in order to tether officially through AT&T.

5. mtulbert macrumors newbie

Supposedly there is no legal way to do what you want. I thought the same as you and found out that you can not use the AT&T system to tether. You will have to jailbreak and use an app like MyFi which works quite well

Regards

6. co.ag.2005 macrumors 65816

co.ag.2005

I'm tethering to my iPad just fine from my Nexus One on AT&T. And for an iPhone, just jailbreak. AT&T won't know the difference in data usage. A tethered iPad connects to the same internet as an iPhone.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hmm. i thought the OP wanted to do this.

Internet->**3G**->iphone->**WiFi**iPad.

i am confused because you need to have iTunes installed on the end PC to run the tethering, no? or are there "legit" apps that let you create an ad hoc?

8. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

I have legit tethering provided (for free) by my carrier. (The "Three" mobile network in the UK).

This will allow me to tether my Macbook, and my netbook but not my iPad.
    The iPad lacks the Bluetooth PAN stack to do this. Which I think is pretty stupid omission by Apple.

There is a solution: The iTether app provides the missing Bluetooth functionality. However it needs a jailbroken iPad.

C.

9. mac8867 macrumors 6502

Just a correction, it is LEGAL to jailbreak and install any app you want on your iPhone. AT&T may not like it, and technically can charge you for usage, but its not against the law.

Jailbreaking can seem like an extreme case - mostly because of the name we give it - but really, it's not that big of a deal to accomplish. Read the guide about it, ask questions, and then proceed.

MyWi is a great app, just beware, it uses a lot of battery when in operation.