Question on the best way to organize media in FCPX 10.1

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by kepardue, Dec 19, 2013.

1. kepardue macrumors 6502

So, now that Final Cut Pro supports combined Events/Projects, I'm wondering if I've been organizing my stuff in the most efficient way. I'd love to get some feedback from some of you handling large libraries in how you manage yours.

First, a little background on what I have. My company produces a set of 78 training videos, originally shot in SD, but increasingly replaced with HD footage. We update each of them on a routine basis with updated footage, additional content, etc., so at no point is any of them really ready to be archived and shut away in a closed archive library.

Up to this point, I've had one Event for the old SD footage that we started from, another event for Updated Footage that we've shot in HD (which has grown quite large--but I want all of it in one Event so that I can have a common set of Keywords that are vital to keeping me organized), and another event for Common items such as company logos and the like.

As I'm starting the process of converting my projects to 10.1, it seems almost as if it's duplicating media, one to be in the event where the video project is, and one in the Updated Footage event. (I should add that I'm unsure if it's a true separate copy, or if it's referencing the media in the Updated Footage event).

I'm wondering if for my case it would be most efficient if I had ONE event for the original SD footage, all of our updated HD footage, the common items such as company logos, and finally all 78 of our projects?

Unfortunately, it would be difficult to associate specific clips with specific titles, since many of the clips we shoot relate across many videos.

Is there anyone out there that has a similar set of circumstances? How do you manage your media? I should add that Final Cut pre 10.1 has been obscenely slow in loading the project library, I have no idea how it'll be with the new system.

2. kepardue thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess a better way to more simply phrase what I'm asking is... should projects and their associated media always be in the same event, or does Final Cut 10.1 allow Projects to alias/reference media in other events? And also, does it allow projects to reference events in other libraries? Do the libraries have to be open?

3. MacBookProzak macrumors regular

Take a look at this video from Ripple Training and see if this can help you out.
    http://www.rippletraining.com/fcpx-features.html

4. ZnU macrumors regular

10.1 does indeed allow projects to reference media in other events within the same library, but it does not allow this across different libraries. If you drag media from one library into another (or into a project stored in another), it will however offer to copy that media to that library for you.

5. professorjay macrumors member

I haven't done the update yet, but have read up on it a little bit.

I do a sports related news/highlight series. So each episode, besides the latest results, I may reference videos from 1 week, 1 month, 1 year, or more ago. It looks like I'll have to all my content in one library then?

6. ZnU macrumors regular

That might be the best approach in FCP X, yes. Although if you want to, you can also work more the way you'd work in other NLEs, and just keep footage external to the library and separately import clips into multiple libraries, the way you'd separately import them into multiple projects in other apps. However, if you do things this way you'll give up the advantage of being able to have a single unified database, shared between your projects, to organize those clips.

Really you can do it either way, based on your use case. For my use (mostly prepping video deliverables for feature films) there are virtually no shared elements between jobs, so I've started using one library per job.

7. kepardue thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I understand how the upgrade process works (the concept of hard linking the files was throwing me, it was odd to have two full copies of 4tb's of data but not having it take up 8tb of space. I think it makes the most sense for all of my reference video and all 78 of my projects to be in the same library. There's simply too much repetition of various clips in different projects, and it'd be impossible for me to go through and sort it all out.

However, I continue to really struggle with the upgrade process. It seems like it's inevitable for FCPX to crash during the process of importing all of my media at once. It gets to about 2.5TB worth of data and then crashes hard. When it reopens, I lose all of the previous upgrade process.

I've tried using Event Manager X to import first my event library of course clips and then groups of my projects, but it seems to want to duplicate clips in the import process. So when I merge them back with my original library it duplicates them. Again, I think they're hard linked because it doesn't appear to be taking up extra room, but I still have extra copies. And I can't delete them because I get the "You cannot delete a multi cam or compound clip that is actively being used by a project" message.

I'm completely distraught. Three days I've been working to get these things in there, but all I seem to be doing is making a mess. If Final Cut would just import my whole library the first time, without crashing, or making extra copies of files, I could make some sense of it. But what I have right now is an ugly mess getting uglier and messier. Tempted to throw away all of my previous import attempts and start over. Any advice would certainly be appreciated.

----------

If I do start this import process over, I'm wondering if it would help if I go through the old FCPX project files and manually delete everything out of the Shared Items and Render Files folders for each of my projects. Do you think that would make it less intensive/easier for FCPX to complete the upgrade on the first pass?

8. kepardue thread starter macrumors 6502

Just an update here, I tried the upgrade process again, and after nearly 2.5 hours FCPX crashed. Again. I looked at the error returned and it said:

"Dispatch Thread Soft Limit Reached: 64 (too many dispatch threads blocked in synchronous operations)"

Also, right before it crashed, I noticed that "Memory Pressure" in activity monitor turned yellow from green. At the point that it crashed the pressure dropped down from using about half of the chart to close to 0. I'm wondering if there's some kind of issue with Compressed RAM in Mavericks causing the crash?

Is there any way to get around this kind of issue?

9. daybreak macrumors 6502a

Try shutting down FCP-X and sort out what you dont need and trash them. Or just install FCP 10,1 and then bring in your files when you need them. If you notice you have 3 option to install software.:rolleyes:

10. gdeusthewhizkid macrumors 6502a

that new event library thing is a mess. Glad I took it off my mac pro. Ill mess with it on my laptop...

11. professorjay macrumors member

I've made the switch and yes, I've thrown it all in one huge library, dividing each episode into it's own event because I need to search across all prior episodes for content. There's a lot of meticulous keyword-ing and this is the only way to do it for now. Also I think it could be a jumbled mess with duplicate clips if I were to move clips across libraries, and the day comes when you could search across all libraries.