Question on thermals

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zergslayer69, Jul 26, 2015.

1. zergslayer69 macrumors member

So I have the 2014 MBP 15" with the geforce 750. Is it normal to have the fans ramp up to 5500rpm (cpu is like 70+ degrees) while in osx and on integrated? Also when I am in bootcamp, just idling in windows the temps can be at like 80 and up. I know the macbook is thin and all so in bootcamp it's locked to having the geforce active but it seems a bit oddly high for just idling. And yes I do blast it with compressed air every 2 weeks and stuff.

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

What app's are you running in OS X when the fans ramp up? Also, WinDoze just idling will tax a CPU.

3. zergslayer69 thread starter macrumors member

How can I check for osx? It could be firefox? Although I only have maybe 6 tabs open which should not be that taxing on the cpu and they're just webpages, not like they're running games in browsers. And from what you're saying the idling at 80 degrees and up in windows is normal?

4. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

Mac's EFI is designed for OS X to use as much passive cooling as possible because the OS X is just much more power efficient than Windoze. 5500+ rpm is abnormally high for 70+ degrees Celsius. Mine only goes from 45-70 degrees on normal use (web browsing, multiple 4K and 1080p videos, Pages, Numbers, Mail, etc.) I would do a SMC + PRAM reset in your case.

When in bootcamp, the Nvidia GPU is used by default + coupled with power hungry Windoze, you'll pretty much cook your rMBP. 80+ degrees is normal for Windoze since it's a POS OS anyway.

Keep in mind that Windoze belongs to POS OEM laptops where it can run 15-20 degrees cooler than Bootcamp since they don't not use the dGPU under normal tasks.

5. zergslayer69 thread starter macrumors member

SMC reset? You mean uninstall and reinstall? As for PRAM, if I reset what, what do I lose?

6. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

7. zergslayer69, Jul 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015

zergslayer69 thread starter macrumors member

8. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

SMC is completed with the Shift Control Option Power, you will know you did it right because the system will not attempt to start up like it typically would when pressing the power button

PRAM resets are more obvious, you will hear an additional startup chime.

9. zergslayer69 thread starter macrumors member

Awesome, at least PRAM gives you audio cues so I know that went correctly. For the SMC, I held down the 4 buttons for a few seconds and then let go and then pressed the power. It always boots up into osx like regular. I've done it a couple of times but it keeps booting into osx. Can't be that hard can it?

10. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

For SMC, when you press the four and let them go... the system should not power, but once you press power again for the final step of the article, power up is expected/desireable.

11. zergslayer69 thread starter macrumors member

So there's no visual or audio cue I assume? As long as it doesn't power on when pressing the key combo then it's reset I'm guessing.

12. cbautis2 macrumors 6502a

13. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Your description isn't helping. Your first post says you are in osx and it's heating up. People ask what app you are opening then you say 6 tabs of firefox. My question will be what is in those 6 tabs? Contents in those tabs can heat up your mac. You could be streaming videos in those 6 tabs or just text without flash/java, etc. Who knows? Tell us the full story... not bits and pieces.

14. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

FYI to OP, temps on my Macbook Pro(Looks like we have the same model) are sitting at 48C to 51C with Safari(7 tabs open with Bing and Facebook in the mix), Steam, Messages, iTunes, Mail, and Pages open. Integrated GPU forced. Depending on ambient temps, idle in OS X will go down to about 30C or as high as 40C idling(regardless of GPU in use)

In Windows 8.1 idle typically hovers around 47C-52C, with app utilization this will climb to the mid 60s, games of course will push it much harder..

I hope this gives you a good reference comparison. How are your temps now after the SMC reset?

15. zergslayer69 thread starter macrumors member

I'm not sure if smc actually reset. The high temps I mentioned in first post isn't a constant issue. It just ramps up sometimes to really high speeds when I have static webpages open. Pages like this site and non game or video sites. At least the PRAM reset worked and the laptop doesn't keep booting into windows first. Idle temps in Windows seems to stabilize around the 60s. I'm guessing it worked. Going to crack this open and repaste just to get a little more edge over the temps.