Question on Time Machine Backup w/2 Drives to 1 Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by b_scott, Oct 27, 2016.

1. b_scott macrumors 6502a

b_scott

So, I have an Optibay in my 2010 MBP. 256GB SSD as my main with OS, and a 1TB HD as my audio/video/photo storage. It's backed up with Time Machine.

Let's say the new MBP has a 2TB drive and I can move everything over to it. How do I do that when it'll be looking for two drives? Will it automatically change the mappings on the storage drive and just create a new "folder" or maybe it'll mount it as a separate partition?

Anyone dealt with this before? Thanks!

2. leman macrumors 604

Correct me if I am wrong, but TM doesn't really operate with the concept of 'drive' when it does its backups. It just backs up your filesystem (or parts of it). I assume that you have configured your dual-drive system in some way. E.g. the SSD as your root volume (/) and the HDD as a volume under it somewhere (e.g. /Volumes/HDD or maybe you mounted it as /Users or whatever). When TM does backup, it just backs up this structure. So if you want to keep your backup the way it was, just make sure that the new filesystem has the data under exactly the same locations. If you have the HDD as volume (under /Volumes), frankly, I'd recommend you to change the data location. Its not a good idea to create custom folders under /Volumes.

3. b_scott thread starter macrumors 6502a

b_scott

I'll have to check to see where it's mounted. I use my Mac daily but I'm mainly a PC guy when it comes to setting up machines, so I'll take a closer look. Thanks for the info