question on time machine.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by comebackdwn, Dec 11, 2007.

1. comebackdwn macrumors regular

this may be a dumb question. but i have been trying to set up my time machine. however, i keep getting a failed message everytime it tries to backup saying:

"The backup volume is not in Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format, which is required."

how can i fix this?

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Open Disk Utility and reformat that drive as OS X Extended Journaled. You can find Disk Utility in the Utilities directory within Applications.

3. comebackdwn thread starter macrumors regular

will this screw me up if i have some stuff from another computer on it already?

like, will i lose my stuff?

4. DukeofAnkh macrumors regular

Yes, you will. Back it up (on your internal harddrive if you have room) then reformat it. If you want to put the other stuff back on, I recommend partitioning it, also in disk utility. That way, Time Machine won't use up the whole hard drive and you'll be able to store other stuff on the second/non-time machine partition.

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Great advice.

Just want to point out for those new to Leopard who are also non-techies seeking easy installation they should look into buying the G-TECH external HD's. Often newbies read threads like this and get tentative or dazed.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=58CC64D7&nplm=TM690ZM/A

In a nutshell, the G-TECH's are quiet (I own one), rediculously easy to install, and come in various storage sizes. All use FireWire 400 or 800 cables for fast transfer rates depending on what your Mac supports. You literally just check requirements, buy, unpack, hookup the right cable, and plug it in. Time Machine will then popup and ask to be activated the first time, it's extremely easy and intuitive.

Use that page merely as a reference point, shop online to get the best price and the proper unit that's best for you of course.

Disclaimer: This advice is not for techies with experience and of course there are plenty of other choices than G-TECH - obviously this advice is also not the cheapest solution. But it is the most stress free to a newbie and easiest, BY FAR.

-jim