question on TM backups to TC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by guido.coza, Feb 28, 2014.

1. guido.coza macrumors member

Hi Guys After I got swift help with a problem that TM did not fully backup my MBA+ ExHDD I thought somebody also can help me with the opposite
    This morning after 22h TM finished a 650GB backup. 53GB from MBA + 550GB of ExHDD to a 2TB Timecapsule.
    I did disconnected the HDD and went to work. As I came back and in reach of the wifi network TM started a automatic backup. Even so I haven't used the MBA, TM still made a full 53GB backup.
    I was under the impression TM only backs up changes. Is a not connected ExHDD regarded as a change? and why does the backup continues even the HDD is connected in the meantime?? :confused:
    Any explanation and help welcome!

2. mfram macrumors 65816

What filesystem is the external HDD? I think TM can only track changes on HFS+ formatted drives.

3. guido.coza thread starter macrumors member

Hi mfram
    The HDD is a os journaled drive so no problem there.
    In any event this is not the problem. The problem is why is the internal SSD of the MBA backed up completly again without any change since the last backup when the ExHDD was connected?

4. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Not an expert here, but the only time I've seen this was when there was a problem with the first backup that wasn't detected until the next one started. If you are doing the backup over wifi sometimes it introduces corruption. Anyway, after it backed up the second time are you still seeing full backups?

5. guido.coza thread starter macrumors member

Hey Coldcase
    Thanks for the hint.
    I had tons of problems with the first backup. I had to -r- boot the MBA, had to "O" out the TC and still needed 5 attempts till I had ONE full backup.
    Yes you are right the first backup does not show in TM but I can see it in the finder "sparsebundle"
    Any idea what should be the next step and how should be the outcome.

6. ColdCase macrumors 68030

If it was me I'd connect the timecapsule to the computer via a ethernet cable instead of wirelessly and try it again, just let it back up. Plug your computer to one of the three time capsule ethernet ports above the USB port, not the LAN port on the bottom.

You will be able to return to wireless incrementally backup after this first one succeeds. If you continue to have problems I would start suspecting timecapsule or network issues.

Perhaps someone else has a better idea.

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Areed. Do the first backup over ethernet.