Question on Transferrng files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by darlenea, Sep 2, 2010.

1. darlenea macrumors member

I will be getting my first Mac tomorrow - a Mac Pro. I have about 750 gb of data I need to transferr from my PC to the new Mac.

I have used MRoogle to search MacRumors and also have searched the apple forums but I must be using the wrong search terms.

I will not have a network to hook both computers up to so network sharing will not work.

I have purchased two new 2 tb external HD to use as off site backups for my new Mac.

DO I need to format one of them for NTFS and put the data on it and then hook it up to the Mac and drag and drop or can I leave the harddrive in MFS format and still use it to move files to from the MAc? I just do not know how to do this? THanks for the help. Darlenea

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

I just read this topic which discusses formatting for harddrives. This may be of use to you.

If you can format the harddrive to be accessible on both systems it will certainly be the quickest process. I know when I first got my mac it took hours of transferring stuff with a 4GB flash drive and I certainly didn't have nearly the amount of content you do.

Good Luck