Question on Two time capsules and time machine backups for multiple computers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by belarocks, Sep 12, 2012.

1. belarocks macrumors newbie

I’m currently backing up time machine via a 2 TB time capsule. This is our third time capsule and have never had issues with any in the past. The issue I’m currently having is that I’m running out of space. We just added a new MBP to the family and now have 3 computers using time machine for backups to the time capsule. One of the machines has a fair amount of video taking up the bulk of storage.

My question is can I add a second time capsule to my network and assign specific computers to backup via time machine to specific time capsules? I know a second time capsule can be added to extend a network (as you can with an airport extreme or airport express), but I wasn’t sure about splitting up the time machine back ups.

Thanks for your help -

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Each Time Capsule will appear as a separate device, even if they're extending the same network. Just choose the one you want in System Preferences -> Time Machine. Make sure you give the devices unique names so you can tell them apart, even though the network name will be the same.

jW

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That will work fine. Just name the Time Capsules differently and select whichever one you want to backup to in Time Machine settings on each machine.

4. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Can't you just plug a USB drive into your Time Capsule to expand the capacity?

5. markp99 macrumors member

A cheaper option than getting a 2nd TC would be to exclude \Movies from the TM Backup, and back them up (manually) to a cheap 1TB external drive (<$100 these days for a USB 3.0 variety).

You can dangle it off your current TC, so you'll have wireless access to this disk, with no need to re-attach to your Mac to access the content.