Question on upgrading RAM on iMac..

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Joe888, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Joe888 macrumors member

Joe888

After i upgraded my new iMac 20 inch 2.4 GHz from 1 GB RAM to 4 GB RAM, the startup seemed to go slower with the 4 GB installed. is this normal?

2. will eth macrumors member

Joe sorry this is off the subject of the thread but does the 4 gb of ram make a drastic difference to the speed of the machine or does it not really change.
    i am in a dillemma as whether to upgrade my 2gig imac that i am getting 4 christmas to 4 gig;)

3. Sapphire08 macrumors member

Sapphire08

I've just upgraded (well 3 days ago) my 1gb Imac to 3 gb - it's starts up the same but is much snappier at everything - awesome :D

4. dadudeness macrumors regular

dadudeness

Starting up hasn't much to do with the amount of RAM in your machine. So does is seem to go slower or does it go slower?

5. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

No. That is not normal.

It all depends on how you use your Mac. If you normally have many different applications running at once, then yes, you'll notice a difference. If you just use your computer to check email and surf the internet, then you will not notice a big difference.

6. Joe888 thread starter macrumors member

Joe888

yea programs open so quickly with the 4 GB of RAM, you can also have alot of applications open without the computer lagging or taking time to load the program. its great!