Question on usage of a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eradik, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Eradik macrumors regular

Does using a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter just clone your screen, or does it allow a separate desktop?

So here is what I am wanting to do.

1. Buy a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter like this one on Amazon.

2. Plug it in to my MacBook Pro (Lion, Mid-2010)

3. Load up NHL GameCenter Live (unless my dream comes true and it comes to Apple TV this year) and send that video feed to the TV.

4. Still continue to use my MBP.

I've read numerous sources that this is not possible since it only duplicates what is on the screen. Is this true?

Been searching, but can't find anything concrete. Would this setup work?

Thanks

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Really? We live in 2011, it would be inexcusable for a computer to not be able to use multiple displays today.

You can mirror or extend displays. However, some apps such as VLC will black out the other display when playing in full screen.

Quicktime and Safari (Youtube) allow you to play fullscreen while using the other display.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

You can have it either way, it will easily do what you like, just be sure to uncheck the mirror displays option

4. Eradik thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, clearly it should.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1184253&highlight=dual+monitors+macbook+pro

This is the kind of link I was referring to which made me confused. Obviously he is doing something different. :) But thank you, it would be a Safari stream (if I recall correctly from last year). Good to know this cable will work.

Thanks. :)

5. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Luckily, the adapter you're looking at supports sound as well. Be certain any time you're buying these that they do as well, some may not.