Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

domemvs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
GER
Hi guys.

I bought my MiniDisplayPort to HDMI adaptor today and I have to say (almost) everything works alright. I dragged my Dock and my Menubar respectively to the external screen.

Now I have the following issue: how can I an impact on WHERE a new program-window is being started? Some programs open on the external screen and some on the macbook one's. I thought the macbook would kind of momeorize the location where a new program(-window) should be opened. That works fine with a several number of programs, but for example GIMP (X11) always opens in the internal macbook screen.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

domemvs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
GER
Nothing to say about that?
It worked fine till today. My Mozilla TB doesn't want to start in the macbook's screen anymore!?

Any ideas? Please?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
GIMP behaving the way it does is normal - X11 programs aren't privy to the automatic window state saving/restoring Mac OS X does for native programs. As for Thunderbird behaving oddly, odds are the default window position isn't set to something valid. This can be fixed by either editing the plist file or deleting it.

There are 2 ways to edit the plist:
1. Use the defaults command in Terminal
2. If you have Xcode installed, use Property List Editor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.