Question on Verizon Data Plans?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by khollister, Oct 7, 2011.

1. khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

In Verizon's general plan info, and in their "legacy" iPhone ordering pages before 4S launch, they showed 4/7/12GB data plans with mobile hotspot functionality. When I ordered my 4S today, both VZW and Apple only show the 2/5/10 plans without hotspot capability.

Anyone know what gives? I just went through the iPhone 4 ("old" models, not the new $99 8GB version) purchase workflow to the point of selecting plans, and the hotspot plans are still shown as options.

I'm assuming/hoping the hotspot plans were not options for the preorder for some reason but will be added as options after release?

2. joe73 macrumors newbie

Not sure if this answers your question entirely, but:
    1) I called VZW during my pre-order as "unlimited data" which I currently have on the Blackberry I'm upgrading was not an option despite retaining my former voice plan. Rep stated (as also implied on the bottom of the VZW pre-order page) that I would need to call back after activating the phone and they would re-instate my former unlimited data plan.
    2) Rep also noted that the upgrade pages did not have all of the options available and that the "global data" which I also seemed to need to check to get a SIM card (as noted by others in these forums) was a package that could also be removed later - and after removing would leave me with a functional SIM card.
    3) Rep "annotated" my account to reflect our conversation and was very helpful and seemed to be well informed.

I seem to remember that the new tiered data plans included tethering for my 4S order, but I assume that I'll lose that feature if I am able to return to my former "unlimited data" plan.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Hope VZW honors the conversation I had with them today.