Question on warranty when exchanged phones...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HBOC, Jun 15, 2009.

1. HBOC macrumors 68020

Ok, i bought the 3G last august (beginning of august) and have had to exchange the phone several times due to problems. The last phone i got exchanged was in march or april.

Now my question is since the iPhone i originally bought obviously has a different s/n than the one i have now, is my warranty on the new phone good until august, or do i get a new warranty when i exchanged the phone? I never thought to ask before, but since i will need to get apple care on the phone soon, this got me thinking...

I would think it would be a year from when they exchanged the phone, but i dunno...anyone have any experience with this?

2. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

stick the serial number into serial number checker on apple site?

I'd expect if replaced by apple the warranty will be to year from original purchase, or 90 days from current exchange, whichever is longer.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

When I first exchanged my Touch, I asked what will happen to the warranty, and the Genius told me I will be covered for the duration of the original warranty. However, recently, way after the original warranty had expired, I started having battery issues with the replacement Touch. I was trying to figure out how much it will cost me to get a new battery, and somehow or other got directed to the page where you check if your device is still under warranty, so I entered the serial number, and lo and behold, it showed as still under warranty! I took it in and got it replaced with what is now my third Touch. This Touch's warranty period shows as expiring at the same time as the second Touch's warranty period. I guess when they gave me the second Touch, the warranty info got misentered somehow. Anyway, the morale of this story, just check your warranty period on Apple's support page, even if you think you are past the warranty period, you never know, you might get lucky like I did. ;)

4. dylanbrown macrumors 6502

If any Apple product is replaced by AppleCare, it still retains the original 1 year warranty (Unless you took out extended AppleCare).

Your replacement Apple product is covered by the AppleCare warranty, or a limited 90 day warranty that comes with all replacements, whichever is longer.

Your new S/N will already be linked to your account.

5. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Your current warranty will be transfered to any replacement phone. In addition, you also have a 90 day warranty on the replacement if your original warranty ends before the 90 days is over.