Question on wifi calling?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Husk24, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Husk24 macrumors member

Hi guys

Im a little confused about this new ios 8 future feature.

I am planning to buy my phone outright from the apple store when the new phone 6 launches.

This new feature wifi calling - will I be able to make free calls to any number, not just an iphone number for free using my HOME wifi ? Will i be able to call any number in the world?

And the same using my sim 3G wifi data as long as the provider allows it?

Thanks

2. Planey28 macrumors 6502

It means you will be able to place an ordinary phone call through your wifi network rather than using the carrier's network, so it will be the same as making a normal phone call and therefore uses the same conditions as your phone contract. You can call any phone number - landline or mobile with it, its just the same as any other phone call.

FaceTime audio is more like what you're thinking of - that allows you to place free calls to any iOS device/Mac worldwide for free.

3. Husk24 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply, so can i make a call to any number, not just ios to ios using my home wifi too?

4. xero9 macrumors 6502a

A simple way to think of it is this.. Currently, your phone connects to your cellular provider's network (their towers). With wifi calling, instead of using their towers, it's connecting through your home wifi.

So yes, any number you can call now you'd be able to call over wifi.

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Also be sure that the carrier you are going with supports Wifi Calling. The feature is there but it doesn't mean it will work with any carrier.

6. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

I haven't used wifi calling since 2010 on T-Mobile when I had a blackberry. It worked well except when I would start a phone call at home and have to leave the house, the call would drop outside of the wifi zone. It would be cool if the call could automatically switch somehow.. wonder if any improvements have been made in that area.

7. Husk24 thread starter macrumors member

Thks for reply but im still confused.

At the mo if I call an abroad number it costs me, with wifi calling will that be free because its wifi calling?

8. drir1990 macrumors member

No. I Wi-Fi call is treated the same as a cellular based call. You would still be paying for the international call.

9. xero9 macrumors 6502a

Likely not free, but that would be carrier dependant. At the end of the day you're still going through T-Mobile to complete the call, so it's decided by them.

The only other way I can make it clear is this:

You have a land line, and it includes local calling as well as nationwide calling. You can call from your landline and doesn't cost you a cent.
    If you phone Europe you pay extra.

Now imagine they provide a calling card as we'll. you can use the calling card from your cell phone. Doesn't that mean you can suddenly phone Europe for free? Of course not. Because it's still going through your original plan.

10. DMaki650 macrumors 6502

DMaki650

http://how-to.t-mobile.com/wi-fi-calling-tips/

When travelling in the U.S., use the Wi-Fi available at coffee shops, hotels, and campsites to call or text in the U.S. when cell signals are as remote as your location.
    When travelling abroad, use Wi-Fi Calling to talk as long as you want with friends and family in the U.S.—for free.

With that said you have to have T-Mobile for the feature to even show up. BUT calling to someone in the US to an international number will still get you charged with International Rates.