Question - Pieces of sellotape inside Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jamesl85, Oct 29, 2008.

1. jamesl85 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I got a macbook pro today (the penryn Feb 2008 model) - all was great apart from this small yet strange fan noise that happens when pressure is applied to a certain part of the chassis. I decided to check it out and narrowed it down to the right side fan being loose somewhere..

I opened my new MBP up and saw that indeed the right fan was sightly loose compared to the left one.. The only solution was to stick little bits of sellotape over the top of the fan (plastic at top) over the screws surrounding it. It somehow secures it a little more. The prob is gone for the moment.

My question is - is it dangerous to do this with normal sellotape? Will it melt?

2. chscag macrumors 68000

I don't know if the tape will melt or not, but I do know that you're mucking around in a brand new MBP that's under warranty, or should I say - was under warranty?

Regards.

3. jamesl85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I am well aware, thank you.

I guess I'm looking for replies which will answer the question.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Do not use sellotape. Apple (and other laptop manufacturers) use kapton tape to secure things...

5. northy014 macrumors regular

Laptops get pretty hot - could well melt. Not good for your new macbook pro imho.