Question re Apple Replacement Service Phones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lstern, Jul 3, 2010.

1. lstern macrumors newbie

Received new iPhone 4 yesterday. The screen has a 1 inch hairline scratch. Called Apple Store & was told that they would swap the phone for an unboxed "service" phone.

Does anyone know whether these phones are actually new or just recycled or previously returned phones??

Thanks for any info.

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

From my understanding they are new, just not in official packaging. I seriously doubt Apple has had time to refurb out their phones. They are probably holding onto all the returned/exchanged ones to figure out why they are doing what they are doing. On an aside, Apple's refurbs are fantastic and would have no problem taking one of them.

3. JustLeft macrumors 6502

I agree with one caveat. In my case I purchased the phone 2 days ago and now have to return it. If they give me a refurb, I want the refurb price.

4. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Refurbs come in the white boxes. New units without retail packaging come in nice black boxes. I got a black boxed replacement yesterday. No problems at all.

5. tivoboy macrumors 68030

My brand new one on day one was in a white box. What does that mean?

6. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Brand new OEM replacements come in white boxes too. We are likely still a few weeks away from having actual refurbs available. They only use retail boxed phones as replacements if they are out of OEM's.

7. melterx12 macrumors 6502a

no, anything from a white cardboard box is a refurb. the new units reserved for replacements come in a plastic black box. you obviously don't udnerstand. those who have received their replacements from a black box, that is NOT the retail box. its just a plistc black box with black foam inside.

Another way to determine: if your serial number starts with '5K', you have a refurb. if it starts with anything else ('88', '86', etc.), then its new.