Question re: Apple Store App Refresh

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Domino8282, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

This obviously doesn't matter now, but for the purposes of next year's release:

When the Apple Store app is down right before launch, do you have to force quit it and restart the app to get it to load once they launch? Or can you just sit on the please wait screen and it automatically comes up?

Wondering if my issues getting into the store this year was because I kept force quitting and re-opening the app, and maybe if I'd just sat there I'd have retained some kind of queue position or something...

2. KrisLord macrumors 65816

I'd like to know this too.

I ended up ordering via my phone as the store came up there faster, and I'd been primarily trying via the iPad (and force quitting on it)

3. TechnicallyTee macrumors 65816

TechnicallyTee

You have to keep shutting it down and restart the app completely, there isn't a auto refresh function within the app. I was doing this exact same process and still made the 9/16 delivery date.

4. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

Yes, you do need to force quit and relaunch. Kind of a pain.

5. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Okay thanks that's good to know... Really curious how some people got in right away, and others, like me, were refreshing on multiple devices (app and browser) over a mix of Wi-Fi and LTE, and couldn't get in until 6-7 minutes after midnight. Almost makes you wonder if it had to do with what Internet pipeline serves your entire region...

6. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I force closed the app until it went live. Every time I got the down message I just force closed it. Within two minutes I was in.

7. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Yeah was doing same thing but very different experience unfortunately...

8. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I think it's just luck really. When so many people are hammering the site at the same time the servers simply can't cope with all the traffic so some will get through and some will not and some will get through only to be booted out or have the site/ app crash on them.