Question Re Applecare

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BarristerV, Jul 18, 2011.

1. BarristerV macrumors newbie

I'm about to purchase my first Mac (assuming the new airs ever come out) and I'm pumped. That being said, I have a question about AppleCare. I planned on purchasing AppleCare with my new computer because it's a large investment, and I would rather be safe than sorry. But I read somewhere in one of these forums that there is a manufacturers warranty for the first year, so AppleCare may not be necessary until the expiration of the manufacturers warranty. Is this true?

Any other advice regarding AppleCare would be much appreciated! Thanks!

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

yes it is true ... first year is included ... you have that first year to buy AC which extends the warranty to 3 years

3. blevins321 macrumors 68030

You get the same hardware coverage with the first year as you do with AppleCare. AppleCare just extends another 2 years. One difference is that factory warranty only covers 90 days phone support, while AppleCare is the entire three years. Don't know if that makes a difference for you though :)

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

It's true, you have a year to buy Applecare. Nevertheless, I recommend not waiting too long. First, if you miss the deadline by even a day, and many here have, you can not buy it. Second, what starts as a small additional expense, compared to the price of the computer, seems more and more expensive as time goes by. It is easy to forget and easy to use the money for something else.

However, there is no need to buy Applecare from Apple. LA Computing has been discounting Applecare for years. If you know that you want it then buy it. It does give you peace of mind and phone support is always there to answer any question you have.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

True. But, you'll now have iCal to help you make sure that doesn't happen. ;)

6. dlimes13 macrumors 6502a

dlimes13

I always wait until I'm near expiration of the base warranty, usually 1-2 months away. Never know if I'm upgrading or keeping it long-term, so factor that in as well.

I tend to upgrade my gadgets every generation and essence pay an "upgrade fee" every year since I get around 80-90% what I paid the previous year.

Even if you so happen to miss it by one or two days, try calling up Apple and explaining to them how you missed it and usually they will grant an exemption. I've heard of a few people a whole 3 weeks after expiration and still got AppleCare. You just have to be nice about it. But don't count on that if you do forget, just don't forget!

Also, look elsewhere for the AppleCare, like Amazon or a trusted seller on eBay. You can always get it for cheaper. Bought my iPhone 4 AppleCare 3 weeks before expiration off eBay and paid $40 instead of $69. He emailed the code immediately and got that box in 2 days.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I agree with this analysis; I recommend Applecare and I have always bought it with my Apple computers. As many other posters have already pointed out, you can buy Applecare any time up to the end of the first year's warranty, but not a day after that (Apple may choose to waive that deadline, but that is very much at their discretion).

For all that being a deadline-junkie has its thrills, I'd really recommend that you get Applecare a good bit before the deadline; anything, personal, professional whatever can crop up to distract you, and then you may forget about it until something happens to remind you (such as a component breaking down; it happens, even with Apple's usually impressive computers).

8. jonahhh macrumors newbie

I bought a 2010 mpb and waited to get applecare, but I wish I had done it earlier because the price increased!

If you think you might be eligible for the education discount within the year I'm 99% you can purchase just the applecare. I wonder if someone else that qualifies for the discount could purchase it for you as a gift as well? Can anyone clarify?

keep in mind there are some reputable, yet cheaper 3rd party places to get applecare (not ebay!).

9. 7thMac macrumors 6502

Check your credit card coverage. You likely will get a second year of warranty coverage as a benefit.

10. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yes students can purchase the AppleCare "box" at the same discount.