Question re: Att SIM on 1st Gen Iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sandrac823, Feb 9, 2009.

1. sandrac823 macrumors newbie

Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask my question. I recently upgraded my first generation Iphone to the 3g. I would like to give my Dad my old 1st gen Iphone. My Dad will not be using text or the data. He would just like to use it as a phone only and not be on a contract. I was thinking that since the phone has already been activated-what happens if I just bought an att to go phone and took the SIM card out of that package and put it in the 1st gen iphone for him? Is that possible since he would only be using the phone portion? Thank you in advance for any and all help!!!

2. seand1111 macrumors regular

Just go to ATT, ask for a new SIm, activate the phone in itunes (be sure to select the transfer existing number option), then have att remove the data/text plan and add a wixblock to the phone. That will do everything you two want to do.

have fun.

3. sandrac823 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the quick response! I apologize for my lack of knowledge, but what is wixblock?
    If I got the prepaid sim that came with the go phone would I have to go to att and ask for a sim? Would I just be able to insert that sim card that came with the go phone into the 1st gen Iphone? That way, I would not have to worry about canceling anything or transferring any number. My dad could add money as needed it wold be simple for him. I am assuming because it has already been activated, we could just use it as any other phone and put a prepaid sim in it. I dont know if certain software prevents you from doing so? I thought I saw att prepaid phone packages that came with a flip phone & sim for 20.00 at target. Thanks!

4. seand1111 macrumors regular

Wixblock prevents data from being used on the phone.

I'm sorry, I misunderstood your post and thought your dad was already using a prepaid. I dont know that you can swap SIM's, I don't see why its not possible, but I am sure someone else here can answer that.

5. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

I didn't think AT&T allowed iPhone's on their network without a data plan? And to the OP, looks like a WIX BLOCK is a code they can flag in your account to block internet usage.

6. seand1111 macrumors regular

You can drop data on 1st Gen iPhones......

7. iFerd macrumors 6502a

But, to be complete, apparently not on a 3G.

8. seand1111 macrumors regular

But, we are not talking 3G phones here.....;)

9. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I know, but you can be sure someone will come along, read this thread, and want to know about the 3G. I've seen that question posted often enough that I thought it was worth adding it here to save the next person to ask the time doing it.

If that was a bad idea. just let me know and I'll refrain in the future.

10. seand1111 macrumors regular

:D Add anything you want...relevant or not...I don’t care :D (I was just “ribbing” you on the previous post….)

11. sandrac823 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the many responses. I guess the only way to find out is if I bought a prepaid sim/phone package and try it out. As long as it wont damage anything I think it is worth a shot??

12. seand1111 macrumors regular

Why not? Go for it and post back here and let everyone else know if it worked or not!

Oh, dont forget the wixblock!!! Add it BEFORE you put the SIM into the iphone!!