Question re: Bioshock 2 and iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fattmik, Feb 9, 2010.

1. fattmik macrumors newbie

I was wondering if people could help me out. I just bought Bioshock 2 for PC, and I am trying to find the best way to run it on my iMac (the i5 core duo 27 inch). I realize that Bootcamp comes bundled with Leopard, but I wanted to do my best to insure that I don't get viruses, and that whatever system I use it will run the game optimally. Would it be better to run it on Bootcamp or spring for VMware Fusion 3?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Bootcamp will provide better performance. With a virtual machine, you're running 2 operating systems, which naturally degrades performance.

3. fattmik thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. So how much space should I give each operating system? Any other advice when partitioning my system?

4. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Use bootcamp.

Be smart about what you do on Windows. Don't click pop ups, don't open email attachments you dont trust, ect

Its not like your turn on a Windows computer and get bombarded with viruses. I don't use a virus scanner 24/7 (Besides MS Security Essentials) Though I will download and scan my computer every few months and have yet to get anything.

5. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

Actually, if all the OP wants to do is play Bioshock 2, don't even access the internet at all from Windows (except to activate Windows and update the game, maybe); if you aren't out there, it can't get you....

6. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Yeah, you're not going to get a virus simply by having Windows.

7. fattmik thread starter macrumors newbie

Appreciate the help. Yea, I'm not expecting to use the internet over windows - I basically am looking to use it to play PC games.

8. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Then just don't use internet, you can just disable it.

But if you want to do some quick browsing it would kind of be a PITA to reboot and go to OS X. But seriously you won't get a virus by just booting into windows, or even web browsing :D

Have fun and enjoy BioShock 2, playing ME2 at the moment :)