Question re. closed thread

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by AxisOfBeagles, Apr 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AxisOfBeagles macrumors 6502

AxisOfBeagles

Curious as to why an earlier thread I started was 'closed'; I had asked if there was any interest in a wildlife photography thread. The one answer was a link to a two year old thread - thank you gkarris, I had seen that and was asking if there was interest in such a thread again.

Why wold that line of query be closed?

2. bartelby macrumors Core

You need to contact the Mods for this kind of thing.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Didn't you just answer your own question?

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

5. AxisOfBeagles thread starter macrumors 6502

AxisOfBeagles

I felt not - it was a thread that was last visited in '07. Is it not kosher to start a new thread if something is disused for that long? Further, I was simply taking a pulse - asking about interest. But my query post was 'closed' so quickly that there was never the opportunity for dialog on the topic.

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Reduce the amount of duplicate threads. The other thread seems to have met your needs.

As long as it's not archived, then go ahead and post to it to "resurrect" it...

I've resurrected plenty of threads, rather than adding the same ones again.

7. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

That tends to make it a pain to get through and find stuff as the threads get over-long. There are a gazillion "which camera" threads- IMO those are more usefully aggragated than picture and advice threads. If the moderators want to really clean things up, how about making six "which camera?" and "should I get a lens?" threads?

8. AxisOfBeagles thread starter macrumors 6502

AxisOfBeagles

Ditto that sentiment.

Must confess, I am disappointed that a post that was seeking input from other members was deleted. I could understand merging it if I had been starting a new wildlife photo thread that was duplicative - but I was asking for input to see if there was interest. And it was closed very quickly.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

There are 2 ways I might have done this if I was in your situation.

1) Search through the threads, see that there wasn't anything posted on Wildlife photography since 2007, and conclude there was no interest.

2) Search through the threads, come across an old but seemingly popular thread and add a reply.

Threads of this nature, especially those with photos, are much better contained in one post. The "what camera should I buy" threads are numerous, but they're also subject to change in a way that "Wildlife photography" is not (cameras change every 6 months, wildlife photography doesn't change in 60 years...).

10. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Exactly.

The "What Camera" thread can be based on personal requirements or preferences (like having old equipment, budget, etc.).

You want to keep photo threads, especially with questions and recommendations, all together though.

I didn't think the mods would lock, but a thread asking "If there is interest" doesn't seem very useful. Of course there is interest if an old thread exists... use that one.

It would be like starting a thread in the iPhone Hacks forum, "Is there interest in an Unlocked Phone?" Thread.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

We ask that you direct these kinds of questions to the team using the Contact Us link or else by PM'ing a moderator or administrator. I've also sent you a private message with a follow-up on the information you requested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.