Question re: downgrading from V.3.0 to 2.0 with jailbreaking

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by Archangeldawn, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Archangeldawn macrumors newbie

Greetings, I'm new here and I have done my reading before posting, but I still have a few questions.
    First, I just recently upgraded to the firmware 3.0 version from a 1.0something version. I have these AV video cables that won't work on my Ipod Touch 8GB (1.1something) but they do work on my brother in law's Ipod Touch 16GB with the 2.0something. So I thought it was the firmware version, so I updated to 3.0, but my iTouch still won't show the video on the tv with the cables. I find out later that the video cables only work with firmware 2.2.1 or earlier.
    So question is, will jailbreaking my ipod allow me to switch between firmware versions? I want to get rid of the 3.0 to get to a 2.2.1 or earlier my video cables will work.

Also, I have read there are two ways to do it, by running redsn0w 0.72 or by iJailbreak.com or Jailbreakme.com. What are the differences/Pro&Cons

I'm running an Ipod Touch 8GB with 3.0 firmware, on a PC Windows XP-SP2 and the latest version of itunes.

Oh and also I do not know what Generation my Ipod touch is, how would I figure this out? (I do not have the original box or manual)

Thanks in advance for any help. It is greatly appreciated :)

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I believe in order to downgrade, you just need to put your Touch into DFU mode (google it if you don't know how), and restore using a 2.x firmware. No need to jailbreak, unless you want to.

If you do jailbreak, go with the methods offered by iPhone dev team. Again, google to find their web site.

Easiest way to tell your Touch apart -- if your Touch has external volume control, it's 2nd gen, if not, it's first gen.

3. Archangeldawn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Night Spring

I have an Ipod G1 ...Okay so I don't need to jailbreak it to go to a 2.0 firmware, but if I later do Want to jailbreak it, do I have to do it from a 1.0 or 3.0 firmware? I've read somewhere around these forums that the 2.0 is a bit more difficult so people either go to the 1.0 or the 3.0 firmare.

Also do you recommend a site with the firmware downloads? If not I will just goggle it and find it.

Many thanks :)

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

For the first gen Touch, it makes no difference which firmware you jailbreak -- well, I never jailbroke with 1.0, so I can't say anything about that, but a 2.x first gen Touch was the first device I jailbroke, and I never had any problems with that.

Jailbreaking the 2nd gen Touch did use to be finicky, but now that the Dev Team has released an "official" jailbreak for it, I wouldn't be too concerned. I now have a 2nd gen 3.0 Touch jailbroken and running perfectly. Since I never jailbroke a 2nd gen Touch on 2.0, I can't tell you how that would work, but put it this way, if you run into problems, you can always restore back to "vanilla" firmware.

Best firmware link I know of: http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

5. Archangeldawn thread starter macrumors newbie

Successfully downgraded from 3.0 to 2.2.1 and jailbroken.

Well I finally have my formerly 3.0 Ipod Touch 1g Downgraded to a 2.2.1 and jailbroken (and my stupid a/v cables still don't work,lol).

It was not as easy as some people say ; by clicking shift+restore on the Itunes Summary Restore page. I would get an error when trying to restore back to 2.2.1. ( I first got an Error 20, then an Error 1600)

So I followed these steps mention in this video.

http://outgoing.ipodtouchfans.com/video.php?l=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D26BGUkjuAUg

It was Extremely helpful, as to downgrade my 3.0 required the use of uninstalling itunes 8.1 and going to 8.1, and also using WinPwn and QuickPwn.

For anyone else looking for a more detailed explanation please click on the link. Tip : If you just click his youtube link, the explanation is a bit easier to follow on text as it is not all jumbled up together as it is on that link above.

Now on to look for a Customization and Themes for Noobs thread. Phew! so much info....