iPad Question re: "Not Charging"

dkillgo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
Hi all,

If my iPad 3 is plugged into my computer and it says "Not Charging", is the iPad still running using power from the computer, or is it going to drain at its normal rate as if it wasn't plugged in?

Thanks for the help.

theConvinced

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
Hi all,

If my iPad 3 is plugged into my computer and it says "Not Charging", is the iPad still running using power from the computer, or is it going to drain at its normal rate as if it wasn't plugged in?

Thanks for the help.

Is it true you are not using either the factory supplied power charger or cable?

These are my observations and should not be taken as gospel.

When using a non apple certified 30pin to lightning connector I get the same message even though the iPad is charging. It is not charging enough to be using it at the same time without draining the battery. It is charging enough that I can leave it overnight and the next morning it will be 100%. After iOS 7.X some non-certified parts do not even seem to work. Not all just some. Running the same program NFL Sunday ticket all day with the factory supplied cables and power adapter and the iPad will still be getting a positive charge.

Just my observations

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
If my iPad 3 is plugged into my computer and it says "Not Charging"
What computer are you plugging it into?

I see this occur when I plug my phone into a PC that either doesn't have a USB2 or its under-powered for some reason.

I have not seen this occur when using a Mac, but it seems fairly consistent with PCs

andyw715

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2013
I'm under the impression that current usb ports on computers can't supply enough amperage to charge 9.7" iPads, similar to the small apple cube chargers (those used by iPhones and 1st gen Minis)

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I'm under the impression that current usb ports on computers can't supply enough amperage to charge 9.7" iPads, similar to the small apple cube chargers (those used by iPhones and 1st gen Minis)
This is correct. The iPad won't charge from most PC USB ports, but Mac USB ports some magically provide the correct voltage. Amazing.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
BTW, you also get this message from a Mac if there's a cheap USB hub in between the ipad and the Mac. (no surprise there of course) :)

TB07-NJ

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Even if it says "not charging" it is usually charging but at a very slow rate. All my iDevices show that when plugged into my PC but when left overnight end up fully charged.

If you are using it while plugged in it most likely will slowly discharge because the power draw on the battery is greater than the power in from the USB ports.

Some PC's have a BIOS setting to increase the power to a specific USB port and even lets you charge when the PC is shut down (but obviously not unplugged).

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I charge mine all the time on my 2008 black MacBook. It never shows not charging so it does supply enough power. I will get the not charging indicator if I plug it into my wired keyboard.

The iPad will still charge but very slowly if it shows not charging. I got that from the Apple website.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
This is correct. The iPad won't charge from most PC USB ports, but Mac USB ports some magically provide the correct voltage. Amazing.
Amperage. ;) USB is always 5v.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4049

With my Air plugged in to my ATD using a non-Apple Lightning cable...

iPad:

Product ID: 0x12ab
Vendor ID: 0x05ac (Apple Inc.)
Version: 4.02
Serial Number: 1df4f7b0afcc5d5eba61cc152ac9b154f970129d
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
Location ID: 0x40130000 / 8
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): 500
Extra Operating Current (mA): 1600

With it plugged directly into the rMBP it's the same. Using the Lighting cable supplied by Apple...it's still the same. So the USB ports are supplying 2.1A (500mA + 1600mA) via the USB ports. Impressive!

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
This is true. I just leave the computer out of the equation though and just plug into wall. Any syncing is done via icloud so I don't really need to plug into a computer.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
This is true. I just leave the computer out of the equation though and just plug into wall. Any syncing is done via icloud so I don't really need to plug into a computer.
When I'm at work, that's all I do, especially since I sync it with my Mac at home :)

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
Except the cloud sync are not 100% complete. Some things are not saved from what I understand.

patseguin

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2003
Except the cloud sync are not 100% complete. Some things are not saved from what I understand.
I've used icloud backup for a long time. Backed up my ipad3 and restored everything to my Air. I haven't had to plug my Air into a computer once.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I've used icloud backup for a long time. Backed up my ipad3 and restored everything to my Air. I haven't had to plug my Air into a computer once.
That sounds good, but the post you replied to is still true. Apps that have been removed from the App Store will not be restored. Purchased tones aren't restored either for whatever reason, but those probably aren't as common on the iPad as the iPhone. Whenever I do an iCloud restore I get a message that some content can't be restored and to plug into a computer to get the rest.

In reply to the original post, when I see the not charging message that typically means the device will charge when the screen is off, but while you can see that "not charging" message on the screen the battery will drain.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.