Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

christy.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Hello,
Yesterday I opened an e-mail from a friend, click on the attachment & it was a Webpage to the Fat Loss Factor. I even clicked a link on that page (please don't judge) ( :

After reading up on the subject I am more informed now, however,
I received and e-mail from the same friend today, this time I marked it spam on gmail w/o opening it or the attachment.

Then I received an e-mail from Apple stating I had "logged onto iCloud from my Iphone5".... I don't remember doing this.. so, I just changed my Apple ID and password.

Is there anything else I should do?

My friend is aware that her account has been hijacked.

Thank you to anyone who can help!!!!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Did you input any data from your iCloud account on the link you clicked?

If not it is just mere coincidence and now you changed your iCloud AppleID and password you are OK.

christy.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
I didn't type in any bank info for sure, but I can't say with 100% certainty, that I didn't type in my e-mail address, which was my Apple ID. And I do not remember going on icloud at all.

Are there any other steps I should take?

If you click on a spam attachment and the link on it like I did, should I change my e-mail address altogether?

Thanks for your time ( :

----------

No, didn't enter any icloud data!

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I didn't type in any bank info for sure, but I can't say with 100% certainty, that I didn't type in my e-mail address, which was my Apple ID. And I do not remember going on icloud at all.

Are there any other steps I should take?

If you click on a spam attachment and the link on it like I did, should I change my e-mail address altogether?

Thanks for your time ( :

----------

No, didn't enter any icloud data!

If you click on a link but don't enter any data like email it is almost 100% sure not to have a negative effect, most are just advertisements.

I do suggest though to have Firewall on and disable Java in Safari's browser preferences, untick Jave, NOT Javascript.
You can read more about this here: Mac Virus/Malware FAQ - Mac Guides

You changed your AppleID and password now, you are OK, but read that page for safe browsing, and no I do not think you are a fool, we all start with making mistakes, as long as you learn from this it's Ok.

christy.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Thank you so much for your help and kind words. I will be reading up on that link.

Thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.