Question re: Permissions access via HDD enclosure

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sdwaltz, Sep 15, 2015.

1. sdwaltz, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015

sdwaltz macrumors 6502

Hello,

Finally getting around to installing a SSD in my 2011 MBP.

My current drive is a Seagate 1TB Hybrid Drive (736GB used), and the new drive is a Sandisk 240GB SSD. Obviously with that space discrepancy, restoring from a Time Machine backup would be impossible.

My intention is to simply install the SSD, clean install OS X 10.11 El Capitan GM Candidate to the SSD, insert my old hybrid drive into a HDD enclosure, hook it up via USB, and transfer the data I need. There are two accounts on my current machine - mine, and my girlfriends.

My question is this: when I access my old hybrid drive via USB, will there be any problems accessing my girlfriend's data? She has a lot of pictures and also edits a podcast, so it's critical I don't run into any permissions problems along the way. I know that if worst comes to worst I could just re-install my old hard drive, log in with her credentials, copy the data to an external, reinstall the SSD, and copy the data to the SSD from the external, but it'd be a lot easier if it could be done with the method I initially described.

Any and all comments are appreciated - thank you!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

You could use migration assistant for both accounts, it should allow you to import what you want to and leave the rest.

Alternatively, you could set permissions on your current HD to allow all to read and write temporarily.

3. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

DIY Fusion drive. (You will need to remove your optical drive and put your Seagate in its place.) With that setup you won't have to worry about the new fusion drive being smaller, and will be able to completely restore a TM backup onto the new.

http://www.macworld.com/article/2014011/storage-drives/how-to-make-your-own-fusion-drive.html