Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

*old-guy*

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Blackburn in North West England
Hi guys,
I'm fairly new to Macs so don't shoot me if I say something stupid.
I have the Pismo in the sig and there is an internal Airport card. This all works fine and connects to my home network without a hitch.
I have just bought an eMac (tonight) on eBay, item # 140283358423, that is "Airport ready" but does NOT have an Airport card. I think what that means is that the internal ariel for the Airport card is already in place but feel free to correct me if I got that wrong.

OK, with me so far?
Is it possible to take the Airport card out of my laptop and use it in the eMac?
If not, could some kind sould point me at an eBay auction for the correct type of Airport card that I need.

Also, for your bonus question....... And this is going to sound really stupid...... This eMac has an Ultra ATA hard disk. Does that mean that I can swap it out with any Ultra ATA disk? I'd like something approaching 100 gig or maybe even a bit more.

Cheers
Steve

andrewag

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2005
Australia
It depends on what model eMac you have. The earlier ones came with 802.11b (Airport) while the newer ones included the Airport Extreme (802.11g) version.

The pismo used the Airport (802.11b) version.

*old-guy*

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2007
Blackburn in North West England
This is the eMac I bought, eBay item # 140283358423

So what you are saying is that if it is an older version, the card from the laptop will/may work in the eMac but if the eMac is a later version, it won't work and I would need to buy an Airport Extreme card.
OK, the obvious question is, how do I tell if it is a newer or older model eMac?

It would be a simple thing to take the Airport card out of the Pismo and then open the eMac and see if my Airport card will fit and work correctly.
Sadly, the eMac won't get here for a few days and I'd hate to wait and THEN find that I need to buy another "bit". I'd much rather try and find out now so that, if need be, I can buy the proper bits and have them all arrive at the same time.
Cheers,
Steve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.